An Unexpected Gift

Anisa's POV:

I pushed my face into the pillow and let out a muffled scream to let out my frustration.

That jerk!!

I sometimes wondered if he had a heart or not. Whether he had any feelings of sympathy. But at that moment, all I wanted to do was scream swear words at him and go to the dinner at Asma Baji's house alone. I shouldn't care about the comments I'll receive from my relatives.
Of course, they'll ask why my so-called 'husband' didn't show up with me. They will get worried about my new relationship and will probably inquire about personal matters. BUT, what they didn't know was that the marriage between me and the jerk was just a deal that was made between our fathers. It was nothing more and nothing less.

My anger returned.

I wished I could murder him. If killing one person was halal, I would've done it already. Just when I thought he was changing. It was like he was deliberately trying to resist being good to me. As if it was a sin and something bad would happen if he said a few nice words to me.

But whatever.

I got up from the bed, placing the pillow back in its place, and walked out. I needed to eat. Walking down the stairs, I noticed the quiet house. Without Ali's father, the house was empty and it looked barren. Nearing the kitchen, I heard the servants chatting as they worked.
I entered.

All of them looked up as soon as I stepped in. The aroma of freshly baked bread and chicken broast filled my nose and I inhaled it deeply. I looked around and noticed the kheer laid out as one of them sprinkled some nuts on it as decoration.

I smiled at them. There were three of them. "Hey," I said. One of them—an old lady probably in her early 50's with a fragile little body and beautiful twinkling, grey eyes, walked towards me. Holly was her name, I recalled. I knew it because she was the person that welcomed me to the house on the day of the wedding.
"Hello, dear. Did you need something? I can bring it out for you." her shaky voice reminded me of my granny. I shook my head with a smile. "I think you're already going to lay the table. I can wait." she nodded as a reply and turned to leave.

Ali and his father were the only people who lived in the house before I came. I remember Ali's father telling me that he didn't like keeping many servants to do the household work but it was necessary since there was no female to manage the house. He had told me that he was too busy himself and Ali was too occupied with his 'friends' to take care of the house.

I was a little startled when Holly called out my name. "Anisa dear." I looked up quickly and nodded. "Yeah?"

"I just remembered that I had to give you something," she told me. I raised my eyebrow at her. "Give me something? What?" I asked. She motioned me to follow her outside and I did so. She took me to the living room and went to the cupboards after telling me to wait for a minute.

My eyes followed her as she took out a little box wrapped up with a pinkish purple paper. A little ribbon on the top made me guess that it was a present. The first thought that came to me was that it was a present for me for my birthday. And I wasn't wrong. Holly handed me the box and smiled.

"Happy Birthday."

I gave her a wide smile in return. "Thank you so much! Can't believe you knew." I exclaimed. She quickly shook her head. "No, no." she held her hands up in surrender.

"It's not from me. I didn't know it was your birthday…" she looked a little embarrassed but then she continued. "I would've wished you before if I had known but this isn't from me." I frowned. "Then who is it from?"

She looked away. "Well, they asked me not to tell you. I think they're shy." she chuckled a little. For a moment, I got scared. A secret admirer? My first thoughts were to throw it away quickly before anyone found it. Sure, Ali was a butthole but I was MARRIED to him.

More than anything, I didn't want Allah to be displeased with me. Even though I didn't do anything to receive a gift from a non-mehrem but keeping it was definitely not something Allah would like.

"It's a boy?" I asked Holly. She paused and then nodded. My heart picked up its pace. Uh oh. "Do I know them?" I asked again. Looking at my expression, Holly got fearful. "It's not something to worry about dear," she assured me.

I shook my head. "But, I'm married…" that was the only thing I was able to say. At that, Holly let out a wholehearted laugh. "Oh! I didn't think you would get so afraid. It's not from a stalker or anything. Even though they told me not to tell you, I don't think keeping this from you will be good for you." She laughed.

"It's from Ali."

A relief sigh escaped me automatically. But then I perked up again. "Ali?" I was sure my eyes were popping out. That piece of information was enough to make me feel confused. "Ali?" I asked again for confirmation, louder than before. Holly nodded in response.

"Yes, he gave it to me this morning. Maybe he's shy to give it to you personally. I think it's adorable." she put her hand on her cheek as she said that with a smile glued to her lips.

Ali and adorable? I think not.
I looked down at the small gift box. Holding it in my hands was like holding something precious and valuable. But it looked foreign and strange. I tried to imagine it being packed by Ali but as much as I tried to, it didn't work. I could never think that Ali would buy me a present— two presents.

All for me.

"Oh my! The chicken's getting cold! I better go now. Please don't tell Ali that I told you about him." she quickly rushed away but stopped and turned around. "And dinner will be ready in 5 minutes." with that, she zoomed away leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I glanced down at the present in my hand. Gulping, I sat down on the near sofa and placed the box on my lap. I looked at it carefully. What if it was a prank? It could be very much possible. I knew Ali wasn't the kind of person to give others presents for their birthdays. I was in the same school with him since the 8th grade and during all that time, it was his special interest to humiliate and bully me.
But…

I looked at the present again. Ignoring the rumbling in my stomach, my fingers reached for the ribbon and I opened the knot. I tore the wrapping paper off to reveal the glass jewelry box. The hanging lights over my head shone on the glass making it look like crystal. I opened it and took out the beautiful bracelet inside.
My fingers brushed over the shiny purple diamonds on the bracelet. The heart-shaped gems looked like a small ball of light that glistened and shimmered so much that it almost blinded me. Okay, maybe I was exaggerating. But it wasn't every day you saw such an extravagant, valuable and precious gift.

Oh Allah.

Why was he doing all that? Was he trying to trap me in his charms? Or was he sincerely trying to make this marriage work? But, his attitude from before. What was that about? He was a weirdo.

A handsome and caring weirdo.
I quickly shook that thought off. Yes, he was handsome and yes, that was a caring gesture but I couldn't let myself melt away just from that. I wasn't even sure if he gave it to me because he thought it would make me happy. Maybe his father ordered him to.
But deep down, I didn't know why but I kind of hoped that it was his sincere effort.