Trenchcoats and Anomalies

You had been in Jew Jersey with Ford for two days. In that span of time, Caryn had shared a myriad of Ford's childhood stories and shown you a plethora of baby pictures, much to Ford's disapproval. Filbrick seemed to only address you with curt nods and very few words. You supposed you would have to get used to that, which wasn't ideal, but it couldn't be helped.

"Do you need help with something to get Stanford for his birthday, sweetie?" Caryn asked you. You sighed. "I should have an idea of what to get him, but I don't. I've been trying to think of something. I just haven't found the perfect thing, yet." 

Caryn smiled understandingly. "Stanford can be hard to read sometimes. Whatever you get him, I'm sure he'll love it."

You smiled at her. "Thank you, Mrs.- Caryn. That means a lot to me." 

Caryn grinned. "If you want, Stanford will be out today. You can search the boardwalk for something. There are a bunch of stores out there, you know."

You nodded. "That's a great idea!" You turned to the clock, which read one p.m. You should have enough time to find at least a few things before Ford came back. You said goodbye to Caryn, assured her that you would be home in time for dinner, and stepped outside.

Shockingly, the boardwalk wasn't too crowded. As you walked on the old, wooden planks, certain stores caught your eye, but some you didn't give a second glance. Seagulls squawked and bickered over scraps of food overhead, and the sun provided a pleasurable warmth on your shoulders. You paused outside a certain store, gazing up at the sign. Marshall's Books. You considered the store for a moment, then pushed open the glass door. The bell overhead rang, signaling the owner of your entry.

"Hello!" He greeted warmly, putting down the book he was holding in his hands. "How can I help you, ma'am?" Your eyes surveyed the small store. Ford liked books, but you weren't sure if this would have anything he would be interested in. "Just browsing," You said. The man nodded. "Well, if you need anything, just give me a holler."

You walked through the aisles, scanning through the covers and titles. Fiction novels were immediately crossed off the list of possibilities. Ford would probably want something nonfiction, but you weren't sure in which category to look. There's nothing here. Irritation flared. Annoyed, you turned to leave the store. Just as you were about to open the door, something caught your eye. You lowered your hand from the knob and took a few steps back. Anomalies.
It was the same, worn, thick novel you owned, only in newer and better condition. You picked it up and flipped through the pages. It was exactly the same.

"Ah, that's an interesting one." The clerk spoke up. You turned to face him. 

"That's always been a favorite of mine," You explained. "I think it'll make a good birthday gift for my boyfriend." The man beamed when you brought the book over to the register. He scanned it and placed it in a paper bag. You paid, thanked him, and stepped out of the door, feeling accomplished. You looked at the bag in your hand. One gift wasn't going to be enough.

Eventually, you found yourself inside a small clothing store. While they didn't have sweater vests and buttoned dress shirts, which was Ford's usual attire, you did stumble upon something that caught your eye. You moved over to the beige trenchcoat. You reached out for it, feeling the thick material in your hands. For some reason, it reminded you of a scientist's lab coat. You flipped the sleeve over, searching for a price tag. Twenty bucks? You considered it for a moment, then gingerly freed it from the hanger and checked out. With the two gifts concealed in bags, you made your way back to Pine's Pawns.

"Hey, Y/N." Hearing Ford's voice upon entry made you jump nearly a foot in the air. "Whoa, whoa, it's okay!" He said, stifling a chuckle at your reaction. You turned your head to face him. "Jerk,"

Ford shrugged and raised his hands in protest. "It's not my fault your skittish." He walked over and leaned his head over the bags. "What do you have?" You jerked the bags away, causing him to raise his brow in curiosity. "That," You said, feigning a serious tone, "Is none of your business." Ford caught on to the playful attitude and decided to play along. "Come on, Y/N, let me see."

"Nope!" You said with a smile as you walked into Ford's room. You opened your suitcase and placed the bags inside. "You'll find out soon enough."

Ford's Birthday

You woke up, trying to remain as silent as possible as you climbed out of your bunk and over to your suitcase. You unzipped it and pulled out the bags. You tiptoed out of the room, gently closing the door behind you. With the door closed, you were able to be less cautious with your movement, and you picked up a normal pace as you entered the kitchen. "Morning!" Caryn grinned as she tossed a pancake into the air. She swiftly caught it in her pan. "Looks good!" You said as you set the bags down. You pulled out the contents, which you had wrapped, and placed them on the corner of the counter.

"What'd you get him?" Caryn asked, her back still turned to you.

"A book and a trenchcoat, actually." You said. Caryn nodded and plopped the pancake onto the accumulating stack. "I'm sure he'll love it. You're good to him, you know." You smiled at the compliment, turning back to face the packages. You placed your hand on one of them. "I hope so."

"Is Ford still asleep?" Caryn asked. Filbrick's presence in the room caught your attention. You gave him a nod before replying, "Yeah, I didn't wake him on my way out." Caryn turned off the stove and placed the now empty bowl of batter into the sink. "Well, breakfast is ready, so if you want to wake him up now, go ahead."

"No need," Ford's voice broke the momentary silence. Caryn's face lit up, and she hurried over to her son. "Happy birthday, Stanford!" She cried, throwing her arms around him. "God, you're getting so big!" 

Ford chuckled and wrapped an arm around his mother's frame. "Thanks, mom." He said. When she released him, you wasted no time in striding over and planting a kiss on his cheek. "Happy birthday, honey," You said. 

Ford gave you a lopsided smile. "Thank you, Y/N." He turned his attention to the packages on the counter. "Oh, Y/N, tell me you didn't."

"What?" You asked. "Did you expect me to just not get you anything for your birthday?" Ford rolled his eyes and turned to face you. He took your hands in his and gave you an appreciative smile. "You didn't have to get me anything,"

"Awh, come on," You said, leading him over to the kitchen table. "It's your special day. Of course I had to." Ford took a seat beside you. 

Surprising you, Filbrick spoke up. "Happy birthday, son." He said, giving his son a rare, approving smile. Ford looked down at his lap. "Thank you, sir." He said.

Caryn served breakfast. Her cooking, as always, amazed you. Once breakfast had finished, you grabbed your presents and passed them to him. "Go on," You said in response to his surprised expression. "Open them!"

Slowly, Ford tore at the bright blue wrapping. He crumpled up the pile and tossed it in the trash, then turned to look at what had been hiding underneath. "The anomalies book!" He said in surprise. "You... you got me my own copy?"

"You love that book." You said. "I figured you would appreciate having a copy of your own." Ford's face lit up and he gently pushed the book to the side. He took the next package and unwrapped it. "Whoa," He said in amazement as he pulled out the trenchcoat. He unfolded it completely, studying it for a few moments.

"Try it on!" Caryn urged impatiently. Ford chuckled and stepped out of his seat. He pulled the coat over his frame and stepped over to analyze himself in the mirror. "So... what do you think?" You asked. Ford turned his attention to you, quickly leaning in and kissing you. You kissed for a few moments before he pulled away to respond. "I love it! I think it's absolutely perfect! Thank you, Y/N, thank you!"

Ford turned back to look at his parents. His mother and father were beaming in pride. "Looks good on you, son." Filbrick said. "Makes you look like a man."