Free Jailbird

At Pop's with Betty and Jughead

"Sorry, there's no service in the bowels of City Hall."

"What'd you find? Any truth to what that creepy truck driver said about that murdered family? Yes, shockingly, Freddy Krueger didn't lie to me. A family of four was murdered by someone that the press called "the Riverdale Reaper." The victims were Jim and Mary Ellen Conway and their kids. Tommy was ten, and Sue was nine. Reaper was never caught or identified, so he could be our Black Hood, but I'm dubious. He would be in his 60's by now."

"Why did he do it... Kill them?"

"The reporter of the article talked to a sheriff at the time who thought... Killer chose them at random or because their house was isolated."

"Where was it?"

"Edge of Fox Forest, down some service road. There's a picture of it."

"Creepy." I said

"Oh, my God. Jughead, I've been to this house. The Black Hood sent me to it, as part of his game."

"Well, then there's definitely a link between the Hood and the Reaper. We should talk to Keller. Pull the files from the murders. At least get a list of all the players."

"No, Jughead, I can't go to Sheriff Keller. Not after I accused him of being the Black Hood."

"Right, yeah, that would be awkward." I nod in agreement

"You could go to the house."

"I can't go back there, Jug. He made me look in a mirror, you know, what I saw staring back at me... I don't want to do that again." I rub her arm for comfort poor bet.

"Then you don't have to, okay?" Then his phone vibrates

"Hello? Yeah, I'll accept the charges." In school

"So the reason we called you guys in here..."

"My dad's getting out of jail."

"Jug, that's... That's great."

"Yeah, what heralded this miracle?"

"Uh, overcrowding at the jail, I guess the judge reviewed my dad's case and after Cheryl's testimony it was... A perfect storm."

"What do you need from us, Jug?"

"Both of us. We have a new lead on the Black Hood case. And Jughead and I, we were wondering if you guys would follow up on it for us. We can give you all of the details, the articles."

"It's just that I have to be there for my dad to help with his re-entry, so."

"Uh, yeah and I'm just... I'm taking a break from the Black Hood."

"Who doesn't" I said nodding

"Wait, so, you want us to be you guys?"

"Essentially, yes."