CHAPTER XXVI

Arizona

I was pissed and I knew I crossed the line. I was fuming when she left me in the middle of what seemed to be an argument. I let her be and just got ready for work. I didn't go after her since I was still mad. 
I was paged to the pit and I was horrified when I saw that it was Derek on a stretcher. 
"Oh my god. What happened?" I still couldn't believe what I just witnessed.
"He got involved in a car crash. The scene was pretty horrible. We almost couldn't pull him out of the car he was in." The paramedic said.

We prioritized Derek. It was all hands on deck. Everyone was on him, including me who was a Peds person. Some of his bones were sticking out of his body and I had to swallow the lump in my throat as I worked on him. We were all trying to contain our feelings for we wanted to focus on Derek first. 

"He has blunt force trauma to the head, chest and abdomen. Can you follow the light Dr. Shepherd? He's responsive. But let's get him up for a head C.T. please." The neuro fellow said.
"He might have broken a few bones too." Teddy said.
"A few? His bones are literally sticking out of his body." I exclaimed.
"PAGE TORRES!" Mark screamed.
"Dr. Sloan, Dr. Torres didn't come in." One of the nurses said.
"WHERE THE FUCK IS CALLIE, ROBBINS?"
"I don't know."
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW?"
"Sloan calm down. You don't need to raise your voice at Arizona." Teddy reasoned.
"DEREK NEEDS SURGERY. CALLIE NEEDS TO ALIGN HIS BONES!"
"Page her again please." Bailey asked the nurse.
"Right away Doctor."
"He's getting hypotensive and tachycardiac."
We managed to get his heart rate back to normal and his other vitals stabilized and we continued to work on him.
"He might have internal bleeding." Bailey said.
"FUCK! GET ME TORRES!" Mark was now anxious.
"His bones are the least of our worries now Dr. Sloan. It's best to take him up for a C.T. before operating on his bones." The neuro fellow said.
"Alright. Let's get him that now please."

We all rushed to get him the scan and turns out he has a bleeding in his brain. He was rushed to the OR and we all gave prayers in hopes that he comes out alive. We all watched as the neuro fellow operated on Derek's brain, while an ortho fellow attended to his open fractures. We all were holding our breaths. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Mark hold onto Meredith. There was still no sign of Callie and I was also beginning to worry.
"Robbins, where is Torres?" Bailey whispered, sitting right beside me in the gallery.
"I don't know. She left this morning in the middle of our fight."
"I told you to get her back didn't I? Not push her away."
"I did not push her away, I was trying to reason with her."
"Well whatever reasoning you did, certainly drove her off."

Derek started crashing and we all were on our toes, our hands on the glass right in front of us.
"Come on Derek, pull through." We all heard Mark repeat to himself. 

The neuro fellow managed to stop the bleeding and bring Derek back. Derek was soon out of the O.R., still unconscious, but we were glad he was now in recovery. 

"Can you page Torres again please?" I asked the nurse. 
"She's still hasn't responded to any of our pages Dr. Robbins."
"I said, try her again."
I even called her and texted her and she was still out of the radar. We all were contacting Callie and one time she picked up.
"Calliope, where are you?" I screamed unto the phone.
"Uhm hello? This is Joe, the bar owner, Callie is here, getting wasted. Can someone pick her up?" 
"Oh hey Joe. It's Arizona. Can you keep an eye on her? We're gonna come get her."
"Okay. Better make it quick, she's about to drink again."
"Thanks Joe."
I ended the call and everyone's eyes were on me.

"So? Where's Torres?" Bailey asked.
"She's at Joe's. Getting wasted. Sloan come with me, we're getting my drunk ass girlfriend."

Although we could literally walk to Joe's, we decided to take a car. When we arrived, I was right behind Mark. Callie was on the counter, her head on it as she asked for another shot. Mark went in, carried her over his shoulder and out the door we went.
We put her in the passenger seat and she looked dead. 
"She's not dead is she?" Mark said as he climbed in the driver seat.
"No. She just looks dead but she sure as hell is going to have a shitty hangover."
We drove back to the hospital and put her in one on call rooms, near to where Derek was moved.

We notified the Chief of the current situation Derek was in and he stood with us outside of his room, keeping an eye on Derek in case he wakes up. The neuro fellow came by afterwards to check on Derek.
He came out of the room and we all surrounded him.
"So how is he? Is he waking up soon?" Bailey asked.
"I'm afraid I have bad news."
"What?" Meredith was still crying and my heart broke. He was her world. Her world revolved around Derek Shepherd. 
"He seems to be in a coma, he shows signs of depressed brainstem reflexes, such as pupils not responding to light. I also received no responses of limbs, except for reflex movements. I'm very sorry."
"Dammit Shepherd." The Chief muttered.
"He's going to make it. He's Derek. He won't die on us." Meredith tried to convince herself and us as well.
We all nodded. We all took turns in watching him. Meredith called his siblings and they were coming in by tomorrow. I went on to check on Callie and I was surprised to see her awake.
"Callie. I have something to tell you."
"Wha?" She was still a drunk and drunk Callie was the least of my favorite phases of my girlfriend.
"Never mind. I'm going to wait when you sober up. Go back to sleep." She was asleep again and I went back to where the others were.

xxx

No one slept. We all watched Derek like a hawk. But to our disappointment, there were no changes. 
"So, is he still a vegetable?" Cristina asked, obviously trying to ease up the tension.
"Cristina!" Meredith groaned.
We all just looked at Cristina for a second, then our eyes were back on Derek. Mark and I took turns in watching Callie too. She woke up several times but ended up sleeping again.

Morning came and Mark bought us all coffee. We passed on the cups and I saved one for Callie. It was my turn to check on Callie and this time, she was fully awake, leaning unto the poles and banging her head.
"Headache?"
She nodded, obviously still upset about me.
"Are you sober now? Because I need to tell you something."
"Yeah, just give me a minute."
I handed her the coffee and she gulped the whole cup down.
"Okay now I'm good. What's up?"
"Yesterday when you left, I got paged. And it was Derek."
"What? What happened to Derek?"
"He got into a car crash. He had a bleeding in his brain .He had bones sticking out of his body Callie. We had you paged, contacted you several times and you didn't pick up. Mark was a mess and kept on screaming at everyone. Good thing Joe picked up your phone and answered my call. That's when we found out you were getting wasted. We almost lost Derek Callie."
"Wait what? Shit. How is he? I want to see him. I want to apologize for not being there for him."
"He's in a coma Callie. And we're not sure if he can hear us."
"Fuck. Can I see him?"
"Yeah, come on."

The atmosphere around us was awkward. When they saw Callie behind me, they had a look on their faces that I couldn't make out. I looked at Callie and she had her head down. She walked into Derek's room and cried when she saw him laying there, hooked up in wires and tubes. I left her inside to talk to Derek like each of us did. 
Callie went home to clean herself up while the rest of us were back on duty. As we worked, Derek was on our minds. We went by his room several times to check up on him. Meredith stayed with Derek the entire time, not letting go of his hand. 
His siblings, as well as his mother came in and were devastated when Meredith told them that there was a very thin chance of him waking up. Like Derek, all of his sisters were doctors. One of his sisters, Amelia ,was a neurosurgeon like him, so she insisted on staying with his brother. His other siblings were not staying for long but will be flying in once in a while to see how he was doing. 
Days have passed and things were the same, with Derek and with Callie and I. Derek's family, including Meredith, decided that they were going to pull the plug if he still had no progress. Mark was not his usual self. He was cold and barely talked to anyone. Everyday, he was at Derek's bedside and we all understood how he was feeling. They were best friends since they were in diapers, they grew up together. 
As for Callie and I, our busy schedules were taking a huge chunk of our relationship. We don't spend as much time anymore since we were on a rotation with watching Derek. We don't go off at the same time, nor come in at the same time. We were like two strangers that were in a relationship. Don't get me wrong, I love Callie with all my heart, and I'm just hoping everything comes around well soon.