CHAPTER XXIX

Callie

I felt like I was punched in the face. She actually looked like she was enjoying herself with this other woman. My feelings were all over the place that I couldn't figure out the main emotion I was feeling. I stormed to the pit, angry and was roughly pulled by Mark into a trauma room. 

"I paged you. Now take a look at this."
"Holy shit. You just made my day."
The man's legs were significant with polio, and he begged to get his legs corrected. I knew I could do it since I was the best when it came to Ortho here in Seattle Grace. When they want the best, they page or call me. 
Mark was willing to help me in this surgery since he was also fixing the skin tissue. We hit the research lab to study for my surgery while he made skin grafts for his other surgeries. All I could think about while studying was Arizona's face and that woman. It made my chest hurt and I was constantly swallowing the lump in my throat. My eyes burned from the tears that were making it's way into my eyes and I had to blink rapidly to make them go away.

"You okay Cal?" I lifted my head to look at Mark, and his face was written with worry.
"Yeah. Just trying to pump all of this information into my brain."
"You're a terrible liar. What's wrong?" He walked towards my table and sat down on the chair beside me. 
"It's nothing Mark."
"It's Robbins isn't it?" His lips were in a tight line and I knew I had to tell him.
"Yeah. But it's nothing I can't handle."
"Did she give in to the Boswell charm?"
"Boswell? What?"
"Dr. Lauren Boswell. We were in a surgery with her. Robbins was all jumpy and can't get her eyes off of Boswell. I've worked with Boswell before and well, she can get very flirty."
"Oh so it was her? Kissing and biting at my girlfriend's neck like she was some blood thirsty vampire?"
"WHAT? I TOLD HER TO LAY OFF!" He raised his voice and I could tell he was mad.
"It doesn't matter anymore. I'm done."
"Callie..."

I looked him in the eyes, without blinking and was ultimately trying to convince myself of what I was going to say.

"I'm done. She knows how fed up I am about cheaters. And there she blows. I'm just so done with people cheating on me Mark. I'm--"
The more I said it, the more it got real. I couldn't help but sob and eventually breakdown. Thankfully, Mark pulled me in for a hug, whispering soothing things into my ear. When I finally calmed down, I pulled away from the hug and laughed slightly.

"Your top is tear soaked. Sorry Mark." I said as I sniffed and wiped my tears away.
"It's okay kid. I'm your bestfriend, meaning you can cry on me anytime." 
"We should probably get back to work. I don't want to mess up this surgery."

We continued to work until it was time for me to get my shit together and nail this surgery. I was meticulous in my work. I don't mess up and I try not to mess up. Mark was done fixing some if the skin tissue that our patient had while I was still doing what I needed to do. He stood beside me as I worked and he was praising the hell out of me to the people in the O.R.

"You see people, this is why she's known as the Ortho Goddess. And I'm proud to call her my bestfriend."

The other people in the O.R. cheered for me as I went in further into the surgery, smiling behind my mask. I was on to the second leg when the machines started beeping.

"He's crashing." 
They gave Mark the defibrillator, shocking the patient.
"Charge to 250! CLEAR!"
The machines returned to it's normal sound, now stable and I picked up where I left off. 
I managed to finish both legs, without the patient crashing again. Everyone congratulated me and I felt really great.
They moved the patient to a private room and I came by right after I was done with the charts. Things went by smoothly. He was able to move his feet, indicating that I did well. We talked for a bit, while I waited for my next surgery scheduled. 
Today was a day packed with surgeries. We were all in and out of the O.R.'s and it was damn draining. I managed to fill myself up with enough caffeine to keep me awake and standing on both my feet for the surgeries I had. I was finally finished with my last surgery and met up with Mark who promised me drinks in celebration of my polio surgery. We were at our usual booth at Joe's, when the Boswell woman came in, flipping her hair as she strides towards the counter.

I slammed my shot glass down and let the drink burn down my throat. Mark was drinking his Scotch when he noticed that I was staring at the woman.
"Hot right? That's Boswell."
I shot him a glare and took another shot of tequila.
"I'm hotter. I'm the hottest bitch in this joint. But why does everyone cheat on me?" I was angry at my sudden revelation. I'm not that awful. Sure, I have bad sides but I sure as hell am sure that I'm not that bad.
"I'm with you on that."

I drank shot after shot and I felt fantastic. I felt free and unstoppable. I dragged Mark to the dancefloor and danced my heart out to the music. My vision was questionable and everything looked like I was in a carousel. When the music came to a stop, I dragged Mark back to the booth and drank some more.

"That's enough Torres. I'm taking you home."
"Just a few more please? Then I promise you can take me home."
"No. We're going now."

He pulled me up and basically carried me out. I was wobbling and couldn't manage to stand up straight when we got outside. I couldn't stop laughing too and I didn't know why.

"Jump on my back. You're too high up in the clouds right now."
"Ohhhh piggy back ride!!!"
Despite having really blurry vision, I could still make out that he was shaking his head at how childish I must've sounded.
"Hop on Torres. I don't have all night."

I jumped on his back while he steadied me. He had his arms behind my knees and supported me up. I was having the time of my life, as I let the wind slap my face while I was high above. I rested my cheek on his head while he carried us home. When we got to the complex, he put me down and helped me get into the elevator. He walked me to my door and kissed my forehead.

"Night Torres. Good luck with that hangover tomorrow."
I just smiled at him, as I was too tired to talk. I got myself into my apartment and was surprised to see all the lights on.

"WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? AND ARE YOU DRUNK?" Arizona screamed as she walked in front of me.
"Will you stop screaming? Why are you here?" Even in my drunken state, I was still a little sober enough to talk. 
"I'm here because I want to apologize on the thing you walked in on, in the on call room, earlier today. I swear Callie. I wasn't going to take it any further. I was going to stop it the moment it started but you busted in--"
"I saw what I saw Arizona. You were about to have sex with her. You were enjoying yourself and I'm sure as hell that you didn't have plans on stopping it. IT LOOKED LIKE YOU REALLY LIKED IT OR EVEN HER TO FORGET THAT YOU'RE IN A RELATIONSHIP WITH ME. SO PLEASE GET THE HELL OUT OF MY APARTMENT!"
"I wasn't gonna have sex with her!"
"SAVE IT ARIZONA. Just get out." 
"Callie please! I love you. Don't do this!"
"Just leave me alone Arizona. Can you at least do that?" I was now in tears, begging her to leave me alone.
"I am not leaving. Not until we fix this."
"WHAT'S THERE TO FIX? CLEARLY YOU CAN'T STOP YOURSELF WHENEVER A NEW CHICK COMES IN TOWN. AM I ALWAYS GONNA HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU HAVING THE HOTS FOR EVERY WOMAN WHO COMES INTO THE HOSPITAL?"
"IT WAS A MISTAKE! WE DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!"
"OH SURE. THE SMUDGED LIPSTICK ON BOTH YOUR LIPS AND HERS WAS NOTHING? COME ON ARIZONA! I'M NOT THAT STUPID."
"FINE! WE KISSED BIG DEAL!"
"BIG DEAL?! BIG DEAL? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WE DON'T KISS OTHER PEOPLE ESPECIALLY IF WE'RE IN A COMMITED RELATIONSHIP. FUCK WHY DOES THIS KEEP ON HAPPENING TO ME?!" I bawled.
"Callie please I swear I won't do it again. Take me back. Don't say we're done. We are far from over. Relationships go through these types of things. I promise this is a slip up and I will never do this to you again. Please Calliope. I'm begging you. Don't leave me."
"I'll think about it. Now can you please get the hell out of my apartment? I want to be alone."
"Okay. Thank you. I'll see you at work okay? I love you so much Callie."
I nodded and turned to go to my bedroom. But before I could walk, she pulled my arm and I was not facing her. She kissed my cheek and let her lips linger a little longer against it. 
"I love you Calliope."
She headed towards the door and closed it shut. 
The silence in my apartment was deafening that I realized that this was just what I wanted. Me, alone with my thoughts.