Twenty two

It was a relief to watch as a cloud of gold sand formed around Sandy's feet and carry him up into the air. Dia sighed with a smile as the sandman raised his arms and the tendrils of dream sand expanded across the night sky. He could feel the last of it washing over him. The power to the guardians returning fully as all around the world children began to believe again. He let out a chuckle, stepping back as giant gold dinosaurs walked by. Their shapes followed by flying fish. Sea creatures swimming through the air as if underwater. Their golden bodies shimmering and glowing.

"Dia De Los Muertos". He turned at the sound of his name. The two boys were hovering behind him, faces uncertain. They didn't seem to be older than nine or ten. Dia guessed that they were probably twins.

"You can see me right?" Dia clarified.

The boys both nodded. "Yeah. We see you. You look so cool!" The one with the beanie exclaimed.

"Yeah! Your face paint is like the one our mom did for trick or treating last year", the second boy added. They both grinned at him. Faces full of innocent excitement. Dia was feeling the very sudden need to sit down. They could see him. He had never expected, hoped for this to happen.

"What are your names?" He asked.

"I'm Caleb", the beanie boy grinned.

"And I'm Claude", the other announced.

"Nice to meet you", Dia beamed. He rested a hand on each other the boys shoulders and they smiled at him.

"Not to be rude or anything", Claude spoke up. "But Mom always said that it was La Muerte who was the spirit of the dead".

Dia laughed, he couldn't help it. The relief was a warm bubble in his gut. He felt giddy on it. "Yes! She is correct. But did you know that every year for one day your family can come and see you? There is a bridge of rose petals that they have to cross and it's my job to make sure that the bridge is there. I guard the doorways between the land of the dead and this world. La Muerte rules the land of the dead and I am the spirit who looks after it form this world".

"That's wicked!" The boy's eyes were wide with excitement. They were probably going to ask more questions when a snowball hit Dia in the back. He stepped forwards under the impact and turned. Jack was perched on the tip of his staff. The wood standing straight on its own as the Winter spirit balanced on top. He smirked challengingly.

"Jack!" Dia beamed and waved. "They can see me!"

Jack's face lit up. "They can? That's amazing!"

"Caleb! Claude! Come join the snowball fight!" The blonde boy called.

"Monty!" Claude shouted back. "It's Dia de los Muertos! He's real?"

"What?" The blonde boy frowned. He blinked and rubbed his glasses, slow astonishment flooding his face. "I can see him too!! He's got skull make up and purple trousers!!"

"So can I!" One by one the children began shrieking with delight. All of them staring at Dia in surprise. Dia felt suddenly embarrassed and a few petals materialised under his feet. He had never gotten this much attention before. It made his face flush under his make up.

Another snowball hit him on the side of his head. Dia shook the snow from his hair and glared at Jack, the white haired boy looking deceptively innocent. "Alright Frost! It's on!" He yelled as he hastily began scooping up snow. "You two are on my team", he grinned at Caleb and Claude. The twins whooped and began helping him form snow balls before pelting them at their friends. Soon the air was full of excited shrieks and laughter.

The yeti and tiny toothfairies helped too. The yeti making snow men to use as cover as the small fairies struggle to carry individual snowballs to the children. One of the snowballs hit North (it totally wasn't Dia) and he yelled. "Alright! You're all on naughty list!" He boomed as he began making his own ammo. Dia laughed, falling back as he was suddenly pelted. The snow melting from him almost as soon at it hit him. Leaving only wet stains on his clothes which dried a minute later. It didn't stop the children from trying to cover him in snow as much as possible. Even Caleb and Claude had defected (traitors), and they were laughing as they dumped handfuls of snow on his head.

"Jack!" Dia called out pleadingly between giggles. "Help!"

"I don't know", Jack grinned as he leaned over Dia. "Do you need rescuing? A valiant knight to save the day?" He turned to the kids questioningly, laughter tugging at his mouth.

"Yes!" The girl in pink, who Dia had now learned was called Cupcake, exclaimed.

"I definitely need rescuing!" Dia called, spluttering as the twins and the blonde boy, who was called Monty, dumped more snow on him. He choked into more giggles as a yeti placed a snowball the size of his torso on his legs. "Help! I need saving from these terminal villains!" Dia exclaimed dramatically. The children all giggling.

"Jack will save you!" Cupcake cheered.

"We must stop him everyone!" Jaime commanded, pointing. Jack let out a laugh out loud as all the children, yeti, fairies and North began pelting him with snowballs. He darted around them to where Dia was still sprayed on the ground. The giant snowball on his legs melting away. Jack kicked the remains away and swept him up in a bridal hold. Dia laughing as he draped his arms round Jack's neck.

"Fear not Skeleton Prince! Your winter knight has arrived". Jack put on a ridiculous voice and struck a pose. Dia was glad that he was being carried, as he would have collapsed with laughter. The children were no better. Their aim faltering as they giggled.

"Guys!" Bunny waved at them. Dia's laughter paused as he and Jack looked over. Pitch had woken up and was fuming.

Unedited