Two

Dia groaned as he hit a cold stone floor, the fabric of the sack not cushioning his fall. He struggled for a moment, placing his hands on the entrance of the  bag. The material burnt away under his fingers and fell into pieces as he stood up.

"Dia De Los Muertos!" A loud jolly voice greeted him. "Finally, everyone's here".

Dia sighed in annoyance as he gazed around at the faces of the so called guardians. They were in North's workshop, judging from the Christmas themed decorations. Bunny was glaring at him as he leaned against the large fireplace. He scowled even more when their eyes met, prompting Dia to ignore him. Turning his expression around, Dia smiled and waved at Sandy. The little silent golden man waved back happily. Tooth paused from her flirting and organising of fairies to give him a warm smile. Before suddenly perking up with a ruffle of multicoloured feathers and speaking something to her fairies.

He had met Tooth once before. But they were not close. They had parted on good terms, but the events had been too emotional for them to become closer. Dia was still happy to see her though. Out of everyone in this room, she was the one he was the most familiar with.

"So they got you too huh?" A Male voice asked from behind him. Dia turned to find boy leaning against a balcony overlooking a huge globe. The boy was as pale as Dia was tanned. With Snow White hair and unnatural blue eyes. He glanced a long staff shaped like a Shepard's cane across his shoulders, causing his blue hoodie to rise up slightly. The material of his hoodie and trousers were covered in frosted patterns, making it sparkle slightly under the lights. He looked like trouble. Not the bad type of trouble but the type which you knew could either end in chaos or euphoria. Either way, the boy looked fun.

"Dia, this is Jack Frost", North gestured between them. "Jack, this is Dia De Los Muertos".

Jack eyed the other teenage boy, walking in slow circles around him. The boy was slim and tanned the colour of rich coffee. His white shirt was baggy and cut with a v neck which displayed finely carved collar bones. Around his waist hung several scarves which clicked and jingled as he moved, holding up a pair of loose purple alibaba pants that stopped just above his ankles, exposing bare feet. The boy's mane of black curly hair hung around his jawline contrasting nicely to the decorative colourful make up covering his face. It created the pattern of a Halloween skull but with the occasional painted red roses trailing down his neck. It brought out the bright green of his eyes. He looked like passion.

Dia crossed his arms, flicking the hair out of his face with a move of his head, unamused. Jack was taller than him by about an inch and he emitted a sense of cold, like the frost on a winter morning. Dia let his eyes rake Jack up and down. Seemingly unimpressed, he turned back to North.

"So why are we here?" Jack asked, feeling slightly annoyed at the other boy's disinterest. "It must have been really bad to get all four of you together. Are we on the naughty list?" An elf ran past Jack's ankles and Dis watched as Jack froze it with a swish of his staff.

North laughed. "On naughty list? You, Jack, hold the record. But this time, we are wiping off the slate".

"Hey! How come he's on the naughty list and Dia isn't?" Bunny exclaimed indignantly. "He melted all my Easter egg hunts around South America and Mexico three years in a row".

"It's a hot country", Dia shrugged, looking bored. "Of course chocolate is going to melt".

"It doesn't matter", North interjected, holding out his hands. "Brush off the slate".

"How come?" Jack smirked. He gazed at the other boy with a new appreciation. Maybe there was some fun in him yet.

"How come? I'll tell you how come! It's because you are guardians!" North bellowed as around them the elves and yetis created a fanfair. Trumpets were blown, flaming torches were lofted. Dia backed away as North was handed a very large and heavy book, opening it.

Jack slammed his staff into the floor sending spirals of frost and gusts of wind billowing our around him. The elves and Yetis were blown back a few steps, music dying. Dia thought that the action was rather dramatic. "What makes you think I want to be a guardian?"

"Haha of course you do", North dismissed. "Music!" He cried, raising his arms again.

"No music", Jack objected and the music stopped. "Look this is all very flattering but you don't want me". He floated up on to a nearby table, walking along the edge. "But you're all save the world and deadlines while I'm more snowballs and fun time", he stated before adding. "Not talking for creepy skull boy over there though".

"It's the same", Dia agreed, his accent sounding particularly strong. "I do not want to be a guardian. It's much better if you just let me go home. I have funerals to attend".

"Boys, I don't think you understand what we do", Tooth placed a hand on both of their shoulders. She fluttered up to the globe and pointed towards the glowing dots littering the surface. "Each of those lights is a child".

"Good or bad, naughty or nice, we protect them", North continued.

"No no", Jack muttered. "No offence".

"How is that not offensive?" Bunny stuttered.

"You protect them?" Dia scoffed. All heads turned to him. "Then where were you? Where were you every Easter, Christmas, every time I lost a tooth, every nightmare! How do you protect children when you couldn't even protect me?"

A stunned silence fell over the group. Dia shook his head in disappointment and began to back away, Jack following him.

"What do these two clowns know about bringing joy to children anyway?" Bunny retaliated. Jack froze and turned around.

"Have you ever heard of a snow day?" He asked. "I know it's not some big thing but people enjoy what I do".

"But they don't believe in you, do they?"

"I don't need to be believed in", Dia snapped, storming forward.

"Sure", Bunny laughed. "One look at you Dia and they'd run away screaming".

"Bunny", Tooth hissed.

"Nope no, the kangaroo's right", Jack smiled but there was no humour behind it. Dia sniggered at the name.

"I'm not a kangaroo!"

"Really. Then what are you?" Jack frowned as he glared up at the giant rabbit.

Bunny leant forward, pushing his face closer to Jack and Dia's. "I am a Bunny. The Easter bunny", he growled. "People believe in me".

Jack's face faltered for a second, hurt and disbelief showing on his features. Dia, on the other hand, grew angry, his face getting hotter. Heat emanated from him in waves. Suddenly he threw himself at Bunny, tackling him to the ground. They scrabbled for a moment before North was there, easily lifting Dia off and placing him back on his feet.

Bunny scrambled up and hopped away to hide behind Tooth. "He burnt me!" He accused. "He actually burnt me". It was true, parts of his grey fur were smoking slightly.

"Dia, Jack walk with me", North states, his tone leaving no room for arguments.

Unedited

Yay! Dia met Jack!