Sixteen

Both Dia and Jack gasped harshly as the memories ended. The were back at the artic, still stuck in a crevice. The cold hit them both like a brick. Dia was shivering violently, body unused to such low temperatures. It felt like the fire inside him was weakening. The destruction of two of his scarves had been a blow to his powers. Dia was finding it really hard to concentrate on the feeling that gave him power. His blasted 'centre' that North was always going on about. If only his centre was something else. Then maybe Dia wouldn't be so weak now.

"Did you see that?" Jack's face was wide and open, joy spilling from him. Dia smiled weakly and nodded.

Jack snatched up the other spirit's hands and squeezed them in his own. A grin showing his white teeth. "I had a family! A little sister!" His face faltered as he recalled his death. "I saved her", he muttered. Then he bounced back. "You were right! I am a guardian! There is a reason for my existence".

"I'm so happy for you", Dia choked, a sad smile on his lips. He raised himself shakily to his knees and pressed a kiss to the other boy's forehead. Jack froze, a purple tinged blush filling his cheeks at the contact. It was only a second of contact before Dia was pulling away and leaning back against the wall.

Jack opened his eyes, not realising he had closed them, and beamed. "Wait here", he muttered softly. Breaking away from Dia's hold, he walked across the snow to retrieve the broken ends of his staff. He returned and knelt in the snow. Dia watched as he placed the two pieces together and concentrated. They splintered and broke apart again. Jack grunted in frustration and tired again. He closed his eyes and furrowed his brow. Dia didn't know what he was thinking but it appeared to be working. A blue light emitted form the broken ends and frost patterns danced along the wood as the two ends refused themselves.

"You did it!" Dia exclaimed. Jack opened his eyes and looked at his staff in shock. He looked better. His powers having returned. Already there was more colour to his skin and his bruises from the fall were fading.

"I did it", jack yelled in triumph, bouncing on his toes in excitement. He turned to Dia, a grin on his face, and swept him up in a hug.

It was then that Jack realised that Dia's condition had worsened. His skin was paler than before and there was a blue tinge to his lips. Jack could feel him trembling in his arms. Deep body wrecking shivers. Jack's face fell into one of panic and concern. "Why aren't you warming up?" Jack asked in panic. He tugged the scarf round Dia's shoulder closer to him. "You have more scarves. Why are you getting colder?"

"Jack", Dia's voice was soft. Jack pulled him fiercely to his chest, even though he knew it wouldn't help.

"No! You need to stay warm. You're normally blazing. I need to get you out of here". Jack had seen people freeze to death before. He knew the signs. His mind was whirling with panic and adrenaline.

"Jack"- Dia said louder. Jack stopped his ramblings.

Dia smiled. It was small but his green eyes glittered. "It's okay. Pitch did something to me and it's messing with my head". Dia winced as memories of that cold soul-sucking darkness flashed across his mind. There had been nothing but fear and sadness there. Maddening and empty. He groaned and rested his head on Jack's shoulder. "I'll be fine in a bit. Give me time".

"We don't have time", Jack cried. "You're freezing!" He clutched Dia closer and looked around for anything that would help. His eyes fell on the tooth container lying in the snow next to them. Dia's childhood face smiling at them from where Dia had dropped it. Jack picked it up and offered it to the boy.

Dia blinked at it, faced shutting down. "No".

"Dia!" Jack pleaded. "Mine helped. Yours might too".

"I've seen them once before. I don't want to again", Dia snarled. Jack didn't know why he was so angry.