Chapter 7

The horses had been stirred up by a murder of crows, a rather mundane thing for such an evocative name. Raven returned to the bedroom she’d already begun to think of as hers during her stay.

She sat on the bed and ran her hand over the quilt. It was time to go. So why was she delaying? So many things buzzed around her head. She had nowhere to go, no clue where she should go. She knew nothing about why she was hunted. What did she feel towards Duran? Was it like those fluffy romance novels? Was he courting her? There was no-one she could talk to. No-one she could ask.

She should tell Duran she was leaving. That was the respectable, honest, polite thing to do. But she was scared, so scared, that he’d take it the wrong way. He might not let her go, or worse…

Better to share one last meal, to say what she could without him knowing the meaning. Better to disappear in the night than to risk being caught in the daylight. Should she leave a letter? Or was that too cowardly? How was one supposed to do these things?

She decided what she would do while she packed her merge possessions. Duran had given her new boots, and while she didn’t want him to think she’d robbed him, she had to admit she needed something to wear on her feet. She’d patched her cloak while she’d been there and it looked better. She held her book in her hands with regret. It was the last precious thing she had, besides Robin, and he would stay with Duran. Raven knew she could trust him to look after her best friend. She knew what she would do, and she hoped it wouldn’t hurt Duran, because she knew he was the first person who’d ever cared for her fully, who hadn’t had a duty to her, and maybe he might even love her a little, but that could be her fantasy, because she wouldn’t likely see him again, she told herself. The old stable hand would be bedding down the horses tonight.

***

“She’s a lovely lass, even if she’s running from trouble.” The old stable hand told Duran. They were bringing the horses in for the night. The young lad had the night off and Duran didn’t like Gilford handling them all on his own.

“She can stay here, she knows that.”

“What then boy? Don’t play with her. She’s too sweet a thing for that. You can’t just take in a girl out of no-where, living here, all by yourself. Folk’ll talk.”

“Gilford, I would never treat her like that-“

“I know that son, but others won’t look at it the same way. Tread carefully, for her sake.”

***

Dinner was candlelit. Raven sat at the table and looked around in wonder.

“It’s such a big house, and so many pretty things,” she murmured. Duran entered, like a tidal wave; big and sweeping. A presence.

“Do you like it?” He asked, flashing a smile. Raven had begun to wonder if he was showing off to her, if he liked it.

“Yes, I do. I think it’s amazing. Don’t you get lonely here though?”

“Occasionally, but I have Gilford, and the others, and now you.”

Raven shifted uncomfortably. “I love it here.”

“I’m glad you do.” Duran told her. Don’t be a coward, Raven warned herself.

“Let’s eat, dinner looks delicious!” Raven said, and picked up her knife and fork.

The three course meal was indeed delicious, and Duran talked about politics and geography and things Raven hadn’t even heard of living in her ivory prison.

As Raven finished dessert Duran produced a small box. Raven’s heart thudded at the sight. She felt her blood rushing in her ears and gripped the edge of the table. What is it? jumped around in her head.

“Raven, I don’t know where you came from or why you look so frightened sometimes. I don’t know anything about your past and I don’t know why you won’t tell me, but you have a future, a future here. I want you to trust me. I want to make sure you know that.”

Raven stopped him and tried to control herself. “Duran, I… This is the first place I’ve ever felt safe. I feel like I can relax around you.” Liar screamed her conscience. “I love it here. I love the gardens, the stables, Gilford, the manor…” you she added silently. I think. “For the first time in my life, I feel cherished, and that is important to me. I never realised how much so until now. I didn’t realise I was missing so much, that I wanted so much. I don’t want to leave.”

“That’s good, I don’t want you to either,” Duran interjected.

“Please, let me finish,” Raven pleaded. Duran was silent.

“I had holes in my knowledge, that you helped me fill. Thank you for that. Thank you for everything you’ve done for me in these past weeks. The time had flown.” Raven continued, trying not to sound like she was saying goodbye, because she was.

“Everything you’ve done for me I’ll never forget. I can’t forget you.”

“You’re a strange one, Raven,” Duran said. Raven flushed.

“I, er, I didn’t mean that as an insult,” Duran amended. He was blushing now.

Unexpectedly Raven burst into giggles. Duran looked at her uncomprehending, then he too started laughing. They laughed until their sides hurt and they were left gasping for breath.

“What was so funny?” Duran asked breathlessly.

“I don’t know,” Raven said, and fought the urge to burst into giggles again.

“I wanted to give you this.” Duran said, sobering Raven instantly.

“Duran…”

“No, it’s your turn to hear me out. I want to give you this.” He reached for the box again and Raven felt her heart stop. The measly few stories she’d read seemed to end this way, and she couldn’t, not when she was leaving in mere hours…

“Raven, it was my grandmother’s. She had no daughters or granddaughters so it came to me. I want you to have it, come what may. It reminds me of you.” Duran opened the box and Raven instantly saw why.

Inside was a silver locket with a bird engraved on it. Flowers were surrounding it in a wreath and its eyes seemed to stare straight out from the metal. It was a raven.

She carefully opened the clasp and saw inside a hand-drawn portrait inside.

“It’s my father when he was younger.”

“You look just like him,” Raven said softly. It was true; the young man in the locket could have easily been Duran, though the picture looked old.

“It’s a family heirloom, I can’t,” she protested.

“It’s mine to give and I’m giving it freely.” Duran rose to fasten it around her neck. Raven wiped her eyes as he did so he wouldn’t see the tears gathering there. The silver lay cool against her collarbone and it reminded Raven that what she was doing was heartless, that she had to be heartless to go through with it. Just for one night…