Chapter 2

The cat and her kittens settled into the lounge room very well. Raven weeded the vegetable garden and one of her guards, Damon, gave her a spelling lesson. She hated spelling, but she loved reading the words associated with it. It gave her an escape from her lonely life.

The day passed all too quickly and soon Raven collapsed into bed, eager for rest. Despite her disturbing dreams, Raven managed to sleep through the whole night, and when she awoke, she was sixteen. It was a small change, an ageing of a day, and yet she felt strange when she awoke. Her fingers tingled and her every breath seemed to be infused with energy. She dressed quickly and hurried downstairs.

Damon had cooked her a hot breakfast and it was already served when she burst into the room. Jarred was leaning against the kitchen counter and smiled when she slammed the door behind her. He nodded towards the table and Raven’s eyes fell on a large white box. Excitedly, she fell on the box, carefully untying the ribbons and unfolding the contents. Raven gasped when she held up two dresses. One was a gorgeous white dress made of lace with delicate frills while the other was a deep purple and soft to the touch, yet made of sturdy material. A brown plaited belt accompanied the second dress. Raven flung her arms around Jared’s neck and hugged him. She hugged Damon as well and thanked him for cooking her breakfast.

“Happy Birthday, Raven,” they told her.

“Thank you so much!” Raven said gratefully.

“Why don’t you try on the dress?” Jarred suggested. Raven’s eyes brightened and she trotted out of the kitchen with her presents.

***

The men gathered around the table.

“I’ve called you here today to discuss a disturbing event. Sixteen years ago we removed the only threat to our eternity. Or so we thought. The child has just come of age.” Baron Hinchbrook began. Silence fell as the other noblemen listened.

“What is the problem?” one asked.

“Can’t you feel it? I knew something was wrong!” another cried. The Baron raised a hand and silence fell once more.

“We all feel weaker; this is the weakening of mortality. Locking away the problem and forgetting about it hasn’t worked. Now it needs to be dealt with, before it becomes a serious threat.” There were nods of agreement around the room.

“When do you propose?” a Lord asked.

“As soon as possible, with the most efficient, discreet man available,” the Baron replied.

“I have such a man” an older gentleman supplied.

“Will he keep his silence?” The Baron demanded.

“Undoubtedly, he will leave straightaway,” the gentleman affirmed. The Baron nodded.

“So, it is done.” He said. There was a collected breath of relief within the room. Everyone could return to their lives and all would be well.

***

Raven beamed as she soared over the jumps. The chestnut gelding was a beauty, with white socks and a small white snip between his eyes. His name was Robin. Jarred watched on with fatherly pride; he had watched the girl grow up and cared for her, he was in fact the closest thing to one she had. The line between duty and affection had long since blurred and been crossed. Perhaps the day she’d asked for a name, perhaps long before that.

She dropped the reins and held both arms out like a bird, keeping her balance perfectly while Robin wove around barrels. When she finished she leant down and rubbed Robin’s neck, whispering in his ear. It twitched and he nickered. Raven slide out of the saddle and walked to the garden to pull a carrot from the ground. Robin trotted along behind her, awaiting his treat. She laughed when she turned around and came nose-to-nose with the hungry horse.

She unsaddled him herself and brushed him down before preparing his dinner. Jarred left to check on other areas of the manor and Raven was left in peace. As she fed Robin she spoke to him.

“It’s my birthday today, do you know? Jarred says that I was born sixteen years ago, so that’s how old I am. I’ve come of age today. Maybe they’ll let me out now, or I’ll have to stay here for the rest of my life. It feels stronger today. I can hear them so clearly now, the heartbeats. Before I could only feel them, pump them to start them, now though, I feel as though if I just squeezed… well Damon says don’t dwell on unpleasant thoughts or they’ll rain on your day.” She looked up as a guard appeared nearby.

“Sundown,” was all he said and Raven followed him to the house.