Chapter 4

Raven rode on for two days, afraid to stop. She didn’t know who was chasing her, or even if she was being chased, but whenever she thought of the manor going up fear had her urging Robin on again. Someone wanted her dead. Someone had taken her from her birthplace and locked her in a luxurious prison her whole life and had only come after her now. What had changed?

She pondered the question as she crossed the ranges, only stopping to rest Robin and to barter for food. She’d made use of her excess time to study and now offered medicinal help in exchange for supplies. If she perhaps aided the herbs with her own abilities to ease a child’s fever no-one noticed. She’d become certain that it was her abilities that her pursuers were scared of. There was nothing else special about her, and Jarred had warned her that they wanted her dead because of them.

She managed to survive comfortably, and when she left the mountains behind even took the luxury to stay in villages for a few days before passing through. In the back of her mind she formed a sort of dream. She could keep traveling as she was, bartering her skills for necessities and no-one would ever pay attention. Whoever searched for her would tire.

Raven filled her canteen from the stream. Tipping her head back she took a deep drink and capped it. She rubbed Robin’s neck as he drank from the stream. She sighed as she ran her hands over his body. His ribs were showing. He’d lost conditioning. Even if she could survive a nomadic life Robin couldn’t. He needed rest more often than she allowed him. The guilt of it weighed on her.

Footsteps approached behind her. Rocks crunched under a heavy weight. Raven spun and saw a young man. His eyes were a rich golden brown and his hair was nearly as black as her own. He had thin pale lips. His skin was too pale for a worker and he lead a dapple-grey mare. His black boots were polished and his clothes had the look of quality tailoring. Raven stepped back and Robin whinnied in unease.

“Hello, what are you doing out here all on your own? Where are you going?” He asked. His voice was soft and kind, as if he was speaking to a nervous animal. It carried a lovely accent that made everything he said sound like liquid honey.

“I’m… I’m just going for a ride,” she answered, fighting for a clam appearance. She didn’t want to look hunted.

He looked her over. She wasn’t just out for a ride as she’d claimed. She was barefoot, having foolishly traded her boots for a loaf of bread several towns back. She wore a slightly torn white dress. The hem had been shortened by a blade as it came to her knees and she worn riding trousers underneath. The small dagger strapped to her hip didn’t escape his notice.

“There’s no village or household for miles. You’re lying,” he replied. “I don’t like liars,”

“Nor do I,” Raven retorted.

“Then why are you riding a horse wearing a tattered dress and no shoes?”

“I did have shoes,” she muttered absently. Robin needed a feed, so she rummaged through her saddlebags looking for something to give him. She’d need more food at the next town she reminded herself.

“Are you in trouble?” the man asked gently. Raven stopped and focused her vision on him, blinked to clear her head.

“I think so,” she answered softly and turned back to Robin. His hand suddenly closed around her arm. She jumped and let out a squeak. Robin snorted and pawed the ground.

“Where are you heading?” he tried again.

“I don’t know,” she whispered.

“How long have you been riding for?”

“I’m not sure,”

“You need shoes, and food from the looks of you,” he told her.

“I’m fine thank you,” she shook his grip off and walked to the stream to pick up her cloak.

“Your horse needs rest and feed, not just roadside grass,” he called after her. She stopped. Robin really did need a decent rest and feed. Maybe the man would buy him off her and look after him. He seemed kind. It hurt to think of leaving Robin and being truly alone, but that was just selfish, when taking him with her would wear him down too fast. Slowly she turned to the man.

“Where are you going?” she asked.

“To my home, its four miles down this road. There are stables for your horse there.”

Raven nodded. “Do you mind if I ride with you?”

He smiled now, he had a nice smile; “Not at all,”

Raven smiled back. “I’m Raven,” she said, offering her hand.

“Duran,” he said, shaking it. “And this is Lucy,” he gestured to the mare.

“Nice to meet both of you,” Raven said politely. “This is Robin,”

Duran mounted Lucy and lead the way. Raven followed feeling genuinely happy for the first time in months.