Chapter 21

Duran pushed and shoved his way through the crowds. It wasn't until he caught a glimpse of the platform that fear truly gripped him. There were men collapsed all over it, and in the centre a smaller figure in white. Duran renewed his efforts, shoving and pushing himself through the people. He reached the platform and vaulted onto it. Raven lay on her side, unconscious. Her skin was even paler than normal. It was completely white, all the blood drained from it and her lips were a dark bluish purple. Duran knelt down beside her and felt for a pulse. He couldn't find one.

The roar of the crowd flooded back into him and he looked around. There were officers coming towards them. Duran tenderly scooped Raven up in his arms and ran off the stairs at the back of the platform. He raced through the docks and warehouses until he caught sight of one that appeared abandoned. He kicked the side door in and carried Raven inside. He lay her down carefully on the cold floor and again checked for a pulse. He started doing compressions when again he couldn't find one.

"Raven, Raven, come back to me. You come back to me do you hear?" he muttered as he worked.

***

The stars glittered around her, so many she had no hope of counting them. She spun, enjoying the way her dress fluttered around her. It was a delicate swatch cut from the night sky that fit her perfectly.

You have done well child.

You did what was asked of you.

Raven paused and looked around.

"I did what needed to be done. What you showed me. But it's over now, isn't it? And so am I."

Perhaps

Perhaps not

You have fulfilled your purpose child, but one can have more than a single purpose in life.

"How?" Raven asked. Suddenly she felt sick; the stars spun above and below her as something was ripped from her chest. Agony tore through her and she tried to staunch the flow but there was no blood. There was no stopping the pain. Tears sprung from her eyes and a word slipped from her lips.

"Please,"

You no longer need the gift you were born with. You have been stripped of it.

"But what do I do?" The hole in her chest felt heavy, it felt unnatural.

There is a young man in your world who has done us great favour. He intervened on our behalf to spare your life. He shall be rewarded.

"Duran? What are you going to do to him?"

Grant him his deepest desire, child

"What about me?"

Your reward shall be a new heart.

This one has many beats in it.

You'll not meet us again child.

Not with this beating heart, at least.

"What do I do now?"

Whatever your new heart wishes child, we have borrowed yours long enough

Enjoy your life, use it well

Now go

The nausea hit her again as something clicked inside her, like a puzzle piece it grew until it fit her like it was made for her. The pain faded away and she felt emotions flood her, and memories. They were hers, given back to her. Among them was one unfamiliar one, which she tucked away to look at later. The stars spun above and below her and she closed her eyes to escape the dizzying sensation. She fell.