Chapter 9

Duran heard the knock from the library. He'd heard the hooves on gravel before that. The hooves sounded like more than two horses and the knocked seemed to reverberate through the house. He rose and walked to the entrance hall. The butler was two steps ahead of him.

"I'll get it," Duran said, dismissing him.

He opened the door and saw two men on his step. Behind them were two more men, each holding two horses. They were all impressive, dressed in black with top hats and immaculate. They were obviously wealthy, but it was impossible to guess their ages. Duran felt immediately that the scene was meant to intimidate and awe. He felt the urge to back down and fought it. These men had in no way proved they earned his respect and cowardice.

"Mr Aldridge?" The first man asked. He had taken off his hat and had it tucked in the crook of his arm.

"Yes, and who would you be?" Duran replied, a little too sharply.

"We represent an influential party. You wouldn't mind if we sat down and discussed this over a brandy? It's been a rather long ride."

"Rather," Duran muttered under his breath as he left them in. There was definitely something off about them.

To his surprise only the two on the step came in, though they all looked equally powerful and daunting. He led the way to the parlour and poured drinks for them. He found himself wanting to doctor their drinks, to do something. Snakes, that was it he realised, he felt like snakes were wrapping around him, all but ready to plunge their poison into him. Whoever these men were, he wanted them out of his house as soon as possible.

"Now, Mr Aldridge, let's get straight down to the point, shall we? We're here because a young girl has disappeared. She suffered an accident and has since vanished. We've been trying to find her, and apparently she may have wandered into your estate. You or your staff wouldn't have happened to seen her?"

"I don't believe so Mr..."

"Jones," The first man just about purred.

"Mr Jones, what is the girl's name?"

"She doesn't have-" The second man began, before Mr Jones cut him off.

"What my associate is trying to say, is she suffered memory loss and probably doesn't even know her name. She's young, slight, very pale, hair like a raven's."

Raven, Duran knew that that was the reason for their visit. So these were the people she'd been running from. No wonder she'd left, if she knew they were close.

She should've trusted us to hide her. She should have trusted me.

"I'm sorry; I still don't recall anyone like that."

"Mr Aldridge, forgive me for the bluntness, but we heard you entertained the company of a young woman recently. You wouldn't be trying to conceal anything from us, would you? It would be terrible if we couldn't return the poor child home."

"I assure you, I haven't seen the girl you speak of, nor have my staff. A family friend visited recently, but she has left."

The men looked suspiciously at Duran, but other than outright accusing him of lying there was nothing they could do that would maintain their polished façade. It was then that Duran saw the gold pocket watch. It flashed for a second before disappearing back into Mr Jones' pocket.

"I'm sorry there's nothing I can do to help you. Best of luck finding her," Duran said, rising. The men had no choice but to rise with him and he escorted them to the door.

The second man left and the three of them mounted, but Mr Jones paused on the front steps. He half turned to Duran.

"It really is a shame, the poor child alone somewhere out there. She's no knowledge of the outside world, and she'll be in a terrible confusion." Mr Jones said mildly before proceeding to mount his horse. "We'll be heading back to Lancastershire, as it seems the girl is nowhere to be found." The underlying threat in his tone had been thinly veiled.

Duran watched them go to make sure their filth kept riding before returning to the library. He slumped into his chair. Alchemists. He should've guessed sooner. So this was what Raven was mixed up in, but what exactly was it? And where was she now? If the alchemists were this desperate to find her, she must have something they wanted dearly.

For the first time since she'd left, Duran opened the top door of the desk and pulled out her book of fairy tales. He hadn't been able to bring himself to touch it. Questions swimming around his mind, he traced the cover. He missed Raven. He hadn't known how lonely he'd gotten stranded in the manor until she'd appeared. And he admitted to himself that she wasn't merely company. That he'd take near any chance he could to see her again. He counted it a small thing that it seemed she'd taken the locket with her. Perhaps she'd already pawned it away. Perhaps she simply hadn't taken it off, or it had fallen somewhere.

Duran opened the book to skim it and found a small folded square tucked in the front cover. He plucked it from the book and turned it over. Written on the outside was his name. He unfolded the paper and read the note inside, the note he thought she'd not cared enough to write.

When he'd finished he reread it, slowly. When he'd read it again he left it atop the book and sprang from his chair. He would talk to Gilford, he would pack-no he wouldn't. The servants could tend the manor like always. He flew from the room like hell was on his heels, for it nearly was.

The letter lay on the desk, a hurriedly scribbled apology among some scattered words of truth. Between its lines lay danger though, and most definitely peril at Raven's expense.

Duran,

I apologize for leaving this way, for leaving you.

You must have guessed that I am running, I was more than secretive about my past. For that I'm also sorry. I wanted so badly to tell you where I'd come from, who I am. I wanted you to know, but also I wanted to make sense of myself, and I've only ever come close with your help.

I told myself I wouldn't write this, but it seems I have a habit of betraying myself. Every word I said tonight I meant. I wanted to tell you myself, not through a cold piece of paper. But I wanted to try and explain.

I am running because I am hunted. I've been hidden all my life, and I don't know what from. Now that I'm free I've started to see clearer, the nightmares become memories.

I saw a crow today. It reminded me I'm hunted. It looked straight at me and I recalled a memory I'd long buried.

After, it seemed my actions were set. I knew I would do this, though it hurts me, and I think, you.

There's not much point in telling you because I won't see you again. That's probably for the best, though you know not the pain writing this causes me. I'm going to try and find my past. There's not much point in saying I'm looking for a future. I think that hope is shattered.

I just wanted you to know that, if I was trying to find my future, I thought I might have found it with you.

I'll remember you, on every road, in every city, wherever I go, I'll remember you.

Your Raven