27. It's What Best Friends Do

flynn to the side

--

"Our school could have a gay-straight alliance." Jace chirped in while we were fake listening to our English teacher. He was fiddling with his pencil and I could tell his palms were sweaty because it left wet marks on his paper, the pencil and the desk.

"Maybe." I shrugged. "I don't think anybody would join it though."

"Maybe if you did then..." He glanced my way, a cheeky grin playing on his lips.

"Woah woah, that's a conversation for another time."

I fiddled with my bracelet, loosening it then tightening it and repeating. I so badly just wanted to reach over and put it on for him but I couldn't and I felt like am absolute coward.

"By the way, I wanted to tell you something." he said and played with his hair. I just nodded, urging him on while my mind skimmed over to what he could potentially say.

Zach, I think I love you.

Do you want to come over after school? we could play video games.

I liked the latter one because he and I both knew that we weren't actually going to play video games. No, we were going to do other stuff. I liked the former too because It meant my feelings weren't unrequited.

"We need to spend some time apart." That was not what I was expecting. Is this his way of saying he didn't like my company or that he's found somebody else he could spend time with?

I was so excited this week because my punishment would be over tomorrow and now he's saying he wants to spend time apart? The bell went and I still hadn't fathomed why he wouldn't want to spend time with me? I thought he liked my company!

We both shuffled out of the classroom together and made our way to the science block where Jace had his lesson next and I had another lesson not too far from there, just like every Friday.

"I don't understand why?" I sighed as we both leaned out backs against the wall near his classroom and we waited for the next class to get out. Mr Donovan was always keen to get all of the powerpoint done, even if that mean letting the class out ten minutes late.

The door opened and a bunch of year eights shuffled out, talking to their friends and causing havoc by blocking up the coridoor. A girl with long brown hair put in to a messy plait stood infront of us and made a heart shape with fingers motioned it towards Jace and I, grinned and then she stamped on Jace's foot.

Yes, you heard it right.

"Ow! What the fuck!" He yelled for everyone in the coridoor to hear.

Cam came out of the classroom also, swinging her satchel on and caught Jace's eyes and then mine. She glared at the girl who hurt Jace. "Jessica, that's my brother!"

"Oh shut up you priss." she gave all three of us a glare and caught up to her friends. Cammie caught Jace trying to recover from the pain, it wasn't that hard, he was jumping around like a lunatic. I was just stood still, frozen in my place, with no idea what to do or say.

"Um, wow?" I tried.

"We'll explain later, right now, I have class." Jace sighed and relaxed into Cammie's hug.

Jace turned to me and placed a hand on my shoulder and looked me dead in the eye with a pained expression from the whole foot thing. I frowned, I seriously wanted to go find that girl and pull her stupid plait right out of her hair. "Let's meet at lunchtime okay?"

I just nodded and made my way to my next lesson. I couldn't concentrate in it, it was difficult to even write today's date in my notebook because I couldn't even remember it with so many thoughts running around in my mind. I tried to piece everything together but I just couldn't. Who the hell did that girl think she was stamping on Jace's foot and calling Camellia a priss, huh?