28. Award Winning Father

[Zach's POV]

Today had been a strange day. Jace was quiet and not his usual self during our session. It was a Saturday and even though we had no school, the building was open because of a theatre performance so Jace really wanted to have it at school instead of at his house like usual, before the punishment.

Today was the day that marked two weeks since I slept over Jace's house and I was finally able to see him after school hours. I thought, that he'd want me to come over his house so we can get it on, like last time but apparently there's renovations being done so it's too noisy to have a physics lesson there and somebody might walk in on us at the wrong time.

So we had our physics session at school, in room 42 and you could hear the school musical going on down the hall because we were directly under the auditorium. They played Michael Jacksons Blame It On The Boogie and I started awkwardly dancing in an attempt to cheer a certain someone up but alas, it didn't work. He just held a phlegmatic expression the whole time.

"Dude? What's up?" I asked him as I tucked my chair underneath the table.

"Camellia." He sighed.

"Come on, I bet that's not even everything."

And then he looked at me the same way I look at the last jar of Nutella.

"How'd you guess?"

"I know things." I smirked, "so what is it?"

"Nothing for you to worry about." He sluggishly swung his rucksack on and took off his black thick framed glasses, using his t-shirt to clean them and then putting them back on.

"You're weird." I pointed out, blunt as ever of course.

"Gee thanks, tell me something I don't know."

"I'm just saying, you're being all quiet and it's bugging me and for the first time ever, you're wearing your glasses on school grounds instead of your contact lenses."

"Didn't realise my glasses annoyed you that much." He said monotonously.

"They don't, I like them." I smiled. He just made a 'hmm' noise as a response. "Stop being moody, come on, Molly's waiting outside." I grabbed his hand and intwined our fingers, dragging him out the room. His touch sent shivers up my spine and It felt nice.

"Molly?" He cocked a brow.

"Yes, she came over because she had the week off. Suspended."

He snickered, he actually snickered, he showed some sort of emotion!

"Why are you sad?" I asked him once again and put my lips into a frown.

"Nothing."

"That's so believable."

"I know right."

I wondered how somebody could be witty and sarcastic while they're sad at the same time and then I remembered that Jace wasn't just somebody. This was Jace and he could never lose his wit, even at the rough times.

"Spill."

And then he hugged me, and this was one of the very few times he has initiated the hug. His arms wrapped tightly around my waist and his head fit perfectly in the crook between my shoulders and neck. I used my free hand to comfort him by running it up and down his back.

I didn't care that we were stood outside in the school's car park where people might spot is. Jace was obviously very upset and he needed comforting and I was going to be the one to help him no matter what. It hurts to see someone so close you so upset, it literally tears you apart. We were together in whatever his issue is and I was not going to drop out, ever. Not even if I was offered a million pounds or an infinite supply of pizza.