Chapter 10 - Gone

Branch.

Branch.

Branch was all she could think of.

His name. His voice. His gesture. His personality. She wanted to see him. They made indirect contact. But how.. why.. he can't be dead.

"Poppy slow down!" Barb yelled. After what they found out, Poppy asked if they could take her to Popville. She wanted it to see for herself. But that can't be? Popville was gone for 2 or 3 years, there's no way he would survive that comet.

The pink troll finally stopped when she could see the view of the whole village on the mountain. And she couldn't believe her eyes. All what's left in the village was nothing but destruction.

Barb finally caught up to her, gasping for breath. "Gee, Poppy, where do you get that much energy?" she asked, but never got a reply. Seeing what Poppy was looking at, she looked at the pink troll in disbelief. "Poppy, this can't be right. This village was gone for like 3 years! Surely this is some sort of mist-"

"No, this is the place." Poppy cut her off. Barb went silent after that.

After a long silence, Poppy spoke again. "It has to be this place! The mountain, t-the forest- I know! I have the book he usually write when-" she searched in her backpack, and couldn't find what she was looking for. "Uhm.. I swore I brought it with me" she started searching in her hair, and still nothing.

"Maybe you dropped it on the way here?" Riff said.

Barb looks at Riff, surprised. "Where did you come from?" she asked.

"I was following the whole time..?" Riff replied.

"If you were following behind then you could've saw her dropped it" Barb said.

The red haired troll looked back at Poppy, seeing how she was still searching something. She grabbed her hands to make her stop. "I have an idea, why don't we look at the library and search for answers there? There's one nearby here so"

Poppy looked at Barb for a moment, and sighed. "Yes, sounds like a plan" she grabs her backpack.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's almost midnight, and they were still looking around the library.

"Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope" Riff touched each book he checks, and nothing particular was related to Popville, until he came across a black book. "Ooooh, this is a yes" he pulled the book from the shelf and went to where Poppy is. "Hey! I think I have something that would be useful" he said.

Poppy quickly said thanks and took the book from Riff and checked the cover. "Lost Lives in Popville" she read. Saying nothing else, she opened and looked in the book. Seeing how it's alphabetical order by last names, she turned the book until the letter 'T' is shown. After looking across a few names and finally, she found the 'Timberlake'.

Right when Poppy's hand now pointing at the name, she quickly realized that this is the list of deaths

"That's his name?" Barb asked, looking at where Poppy was pointing.

Poppy lightly nodded yes.

"But there's no way!" Briff said together.

"There has to be a mistake, right?" Riff said.

"No! This isn't a mistake, I know it is! T-There has to be something that-" Poppy realized something. "That's it! I'm going back to Popville" she rose up from her chair and went straight out.

"She never gave up does she?" Barb crossed her arms as she watched the pink troll walk away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poppy slides down the mountain and ran as fast as her feet let her. She quickly took a breather before entering the large rock. Going inside and took a few more steps, and there it was. The bottle that has a part of Branch inside.

Poppy sits down and reached out to the bottle. After opening it, she poured the bottle on the cap. She placed the bottle back on the rock and stared at the cap. "Here goes nothing" said to herself then gulped down the liquid.

Poppy closed her eyes, and waited if something happened. She peeked with one eye, and nothing happened. "Guess it was nothing.. but tasted kinda sweet though" she attempted to stand up, but she accidentally slipped out of her footing.

Looking at the ceiling of the rock, she noticed the comet drawn out. After a few seconds, she realized it feels like she is still falling. Looking down, she was right. It looks like she was underwater.

"What the-" Poppy looked around and saw some sort of memories. Looking at one of them, it was Branch's memories. One where Branch just got born, one where he found out his mother is long gone.

And finally the last one, where Branch was watching the comet striking down Popville.

Without thinking, Poppy yelled. "Branch! Get out of there or you'll get hit by that comet!" but there was no stopping it. She just watched the memory of how Branch..

"Branch, don't die on me"