| 16 |

"INCENDIO."
Catherine tried again. Fire shot out from her wand, engulfing the wicked black box in flames. They were in her backyard, the box sitting in the middle on a patch of grass that was burnt to ash, unopened and seemingly unharmed. She tried all the spells she could think of but nothing worked. Smalls was now just laying down by the stairs of the porch, bored as hell.

  "Confringo!" She tried for the millionth time. The box just wavered slightly, letting out a big hissing noise before settling the bag to the ground unscratched, mocking her efforts. Catherine was sitting down on a small chair she grabbed on her bathroom, sipping her coffee with milk and a splash of cream. Absentmindedly shooting random spells, hoping one would hit the jackpot. She's been doing this every time she goes home.

  Smalls whimpered grumpily and Catherine looked at him. "Why don't you help me then instead of complaining?" She told him, giving him a sharp look. Smalls rolled his eyes and rolled over on his back, ignoring her.

  "You're lucky you're cute..." she muttered.

  Catherine went from being eager to open the box, to getting frustrated to the point she didn't care anymore. She even thought about tossing it in the waste pile and the corner of the street for all she cared. It was like a daily reminder of something hanging deep inside her head, and itch on her back she couldn't scratch.

  Giving up, she went inside to make another cup coffee with Smalls trailing inside. She's been drinking more and more caffeine these days because she dreads going to sleep. The only time the night terrors didn't appear in her dreams were the nights she was so tired that she didn't realise she fell asleep. Smalls was getting the rough end of it too, being the knight in shining armour through her nightmares, waking her up by licking the sweat of her face and neck, bringing her back to reality.

  They were mostly visions of one man. A man she wished never entered her life. A man that has stolen half her childhood and most of her happiness. A man that took her mother. She will never forgive him for that. Sometimes he would strangle her in her dreams, making it hard to breath. Other times, he would torture her with spells she never knew existed, making her begging for mercy into the empty air. The most terrifying dream was the flashback of the moment that changed her life forever. The moment she lost the single person she swore to take care of. The day she regrets to this day.

  The nightmares started the day she began to read her mother's journals. She had it in her possession for quite some time now, but she didn't have the nerve to open it. The violet leather cover now splotched with ink in the left top corner and the small clasp that was supposed to close the book is now nearly torn. The only reason she opened it was to find something that could help her open the stupid box. But what she unleashed was a train filled with memories that hurt her to the bone.

  She went and grabbed a glass of wine, thinking she would need one for the emotional roller coaster she's going to feel, and settled back down on the couch. Smalls was sitting at her feet, his eyes concerned. He knew that every time Catherine opened the book, she would always end up in tears.

  "It's okay Smalls." She patted the spot next to her and he jumped onto the couch, snuggling in close. "There has to be something in here I could use."

------

Henry,

The world is nothing but a void. How do you expect me to live? You say I need to say strong for Catherine, but how can I look at her without seeing you?

You said you will always come back.

Armasta Alati,
Maria