| 27 |

CATHERINE sat on the carpeted stairs, overlooking the front door of Malfoy Manor. Nott has been bugging her to go home for the past 6 hours and she refuses to move. She sat there, her eyes trained on the door, her hand clutching her wand.

  "At least eat something. I'm going to be in trouble when he finds out you just sat there like a homeless puppy for like... forever." Nott tried again, taking another swing of his brandy.

  "He better come back because I'm ready to kill him." Catherine sneered.

  He went to the fucking raid when she specifically told him not to. She knew raids could last for a day, sometimes even more than that. But she's going to stay put, ready to kick his fucking ass when he comes home.

  Will he? The monster in her brain starts to creep in.

  She hated this. The familiar feeling of dread. The feeling she vowed to never want to feel. The sole reason for why she kept her walls up made of lead.

  "Good. If he comes back, kill him first because he's going to kill me for telling you about it." Nott was sitting a few steps behind her. She could feel him move, positioning himself so that he was lying flat on the ground. She could hear the clicking of his rings making contact with the alcohol bottle he was nursing.

  "When." She gritted.

  "When what?" He asked.

  "You said if he comes back. It's when he comes back you fucking idiot."

  Nott stayed silent which made her feel sick. Even he knows how big a risk this was. Now she hated Harry for bringing him. The only time they got along was for something dangerous and she hated it.

  He has to come back. To his mother. His house.

  To her.

  Who was she kidding, who the hell does she think she is?

  "You know there's a possibility this could take days right?" Nott said for the millionth times.

  "You know it's possible for you to shut up." She looked at him.

  "I'm sorry." Nott apologised.

  Now she felt guilty for being such an ass to him. He's been nothing but accommodating and surprisingly very respectful.

  Catherine sighed, "You and Zabini.. you guys care about him yeah?"

  "Have been since we could walk. Didn't really have a choice since our families always hang around together but yes, we're not as bad as they say we are."

  "I never thought you were bad, just ridiculously rich." She told him.

  Nott gave her a blinding smile, "and that's why I like you."

  Catherine returned with a shy smile, focusing back on the front door.

  "He cares about you too. A lot." Nott finished his alcohol with a chug, "I'll wait until you both stop denying each other."

  He finally declared that he needed more liquor before climbing up the stairs leaving her alone with her train of thoughts. She sat there until she saw the sunrise. A scenery she always loved to see, but now muddled with anxiety.

  Malfoy didn't come home that night.

------

  She went home the next day to grab a change of clothes. She didn't remember the last time she actually ate a decent meal. Smalls gave up trying to get her attention and just sat there, looking at her owner like she was a lunatic. She was in a hurry to go to the Hospital, wanting to see if Malfoy was there. She certainly hoped not.