| 32 |

CATHERINE
didn't have to avoid him like a plague the next day. She woke up late and wanted to let the ground swallow her whole. Never in her life will she ever drink liquid pain elixirs ever again and there's no way in hell she's going to get drunk in front of people, ever.

  They walked in silence to his room that night and she remembered the moment vividly.

  "I thought you wanted me." She whispered, more to herself but he heard it. "But clearly you didn't."

  "You know that's not true." Malfoy said harshly and she flinched.

  "No I don't. I'm sorry it's just my brain is conditioned to think of the worst possible outcome. You think you want me but deep down you don't. I'm just being cared for out of respect for what I did to you and that's fine. It's human to want to give back to the people that helped us. I get it, I'm not easy to love, even harder to want. Harold reminded me that everyday. So, it's okay-"

  She hated how the medicine loosen her tongue. It didn't want to stop spilling how passive aggressive she truly felt. They were right outside his bedroom door when he stopped so suddenly that she smacked into his body.

  "I'm going to stop you right there." He interrupted, his face was boiling in anger.

  "Sure, go ahead." She told him. "It's your Mansion you get to do whatever you want. You can even kick me out! I can pack my stuff! Wait... I didn't bring anything. Oh! You're mother's clothes! They're really nice pyjamas, you know..."

  "Stop!" He shouted. Holding her face in his hands, squishing her cheeks a little. "Listen to me. You're going to rest, because your body needs it. I will talk to you tomorrow. Are we clear?"

  "Crystal." She replied. "I get it, I'm not really a very nice person to talk to, sorry."

  "Fucking Salazar." Malfoy cursed. "Ariendra, you are the only person in this universe I'd spend my whole life cherishing if I were given the chance."

  Catherine gulped and began to panic. Her hand found their way to his wrist. Gently tugging them so he would release his hold. Her body suddenly was too hot to touch. She wanted to get out of this humiliation.

  "You don't have to say nice things to make me feel better. I hate it when people do that." She made her way to the door, "I'm going to rest now. Good night, Malfoy."

  She closed the door behind. Much to her relief, he didn't follow her in.

  He wasn't there waiting for her when she woke up late the next day either. Narcissa entered shortly after, bringing in her a bowl of cereal, along with a few slices of wheat toast and juice. She ate with her. Talking about mostly her progress coping with life. Narcissa told her how she felt refreshed and she wanted to be better for her son. At the mention of his name, Catherine wanted to vomit.

  "He's away." Narcissa told her. "I know you were wondering where he is."

  She really was but not looking forward to seeing him. Now that he went away, she began to feel anxious.

  "Where to?" Catherine asked cautiously.

  "Probably to the Ministry. Theo and Blaise came over to pick him up." Narcissa answered her.

  She stopped chewing.

  Was he going to another raid?? He's not that stupid is he??

  Then she thought again, he didn't tell you he went the last time.

  "What for?" She asked, trying her best to sound nonchalant.

  "Shacklebolt gave him a spot in the team. He doesn't like to talk about it to me, but I'm happy he's able to help. He really needed this. His heart wanted redemption."