11: The Protector

"Y/n," his voice was soft and comforting as he said my name. He was towering over me now as I sat on my couch.

Gojo and Nanami agreed to leave us alone for a minute and went outside to wait, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

"Don't," I whispered back, tears already streaming down my face.

"Please Y/n," he knelt down in front of me, tilting my face up so I'd look at him.

It was those damn eyes again. How the hell could he pull me in with just one look?

He used his thumb to wipe the tears off my cheeks, "I love you so much. Just let me explain this all."

I wanted to crumble underneath his gentle touch and his soothing words. I wanted to just throw my arms around him and let him hold me, let him protect me from the situation I found myself in.

But I couldn't. Because he was the one who put me here. He put my life in danger, and with my role as a Protector, there was so much at stake now.

He took my silence as confirmation and leaned in to kiss me, but I quickly turned my head, letting his lips connect with my cheek.

"Y/n..." my name rolled off his tongue in a pleading voice as he rested his forehead against me.

"If you have something to say, say it Suguru," I ordered as I pulled back.

He sighed but he listened. He sat down next to me, holding my hand as he started to speak. He explained how he found the hourglass yesterday and called over Satoru because he had no idea what to do.

"Yesterday morning?" I asked. "If you knew about this yesterday, then why the fuck did you let last night happen!?"

I couldn't help it as my voice raised higher than it ever did. I wasn't much of a yeller honestly, but today had thrown me over the edge.

He shook his head, "You don't understand. I asked Satoru to give me time to talk to you about it all so that it wouldn't spiral to this."

His voice was shaking as he spoke, tears teasing the corner of his eyes, "But when you said you loved me too, it's like nothing else in the world mattered. I didn't even think about it again until Satoru showed up this morning."

"Please Y/n, I would never do anything to hurt you. You have to believe me."

I rubbed my face as I tried to let everything he said sink in. I really didn't know if I believed him, but I absolutely wanted to.

"I don't know if I trust you," I finally looked over at him, watching as the words hit him like daggers. I needed him to know I was skeptical as hell, but even still...

"But I love you Suguru," I followed up.

He closed his eyes as he let out a soft sigh, his entire body relaxing as I spoke. It didn't mean anything was ever going to be fine between us, but I guess he's glad I don't hate him at least.

He smiled as he looked at me, getting ready to say something when the door to my apartment flew back open.

"Time's up," Gojo called out. "We have business."

I watched silently as the two walked over to us, Suguru only holding my hand tighter as we waited for him to keep talking.

"The first years are having some trouble with special grades, so it's time to go."

Suguru nodded, "I'll stay here with her."

Gojo sighed as he shook his head, "No, I can't leave you alone with her. It looks like you two might've made up which means you'd probably let her escape if she tried."