3: the world of music

Y/N POV:
I immediately run to the square and see Biggie getting chased by some gnarly looking fly.
-Biggie, hide in a tree! I shout after him, but he doesn't hear me. Suddenly Poppy's hair grabs a hold of it.
-I got it! Then she looks up and sees that the fly is stuck in her hair.
-Ew it's stuck in my hair, get it out, get it out! Poppy fusses. I run to help her and try to pull it out as it's wings buzz haywire in her hair, making it stick even harder. But suddenly Branch jumps in between me and Poppy, grabbing the fly, calming it down fairly quick.

-What is that thing!? Legsly asks.
-it's creepy! Cooper says.
-It's scary, Satin and Chenille says simultaneously.
-And NAaaaAAaasty, guy diamond says.
-Hold me daddy! Tiny says and they hug.
I see a rolls of some kind on the ground next to us, so I walk over to it and pick it up.
-"To the queens of pop", I read on the roll. Poppy stands beside me and watches the letter carefully. People around us gasp in fear.
- Ah don't worry everyone, it's just an invitation! Poppy then says, and everyone sighs.
-Poppy, I'm not so sure- Poppy grabs the roll from me and cleans her throat.
-"Barb, the queen of rock announces her one nation under rock world tour", Poppy starts. I then carefully take the rolls from her hands and look at it.
-"Bring your own string to the biggest party the world has ever seen...." I read the last part.
-Queen of rock? Poppy asks, but a happy, almost fluttery feeling rises in my stomach, before our dad takes the scroll from my hands.
-It's nothing! It means nothing at all! It's just junk mail, no need to worry about it! Quit looking at it everyone! Dad says as he flails around with the letter in the air, before biting it to small pieces.

But Branch has the scene covered and calms dad the same way he calmed the fly.
-Alright... Alright I'm calm... dad says and stands up.
-Dad what is going on? I ask carefully.
-Well, I have long feared this day would come. I was hoping to protect you from this, my daughters, he says.
-Protect us? You don't have to protect us, we're not little kids anymore dad, we're the queens now, Poppy tries to reassure him.
-You're right... but truth is; we are not alone in this world, he says. Mr. Dinkles makes a scary sound effect, but biggie props his mouth with his finger.
-Ssshhh! Biggie hisses at mr.Dinkles and smiles awkwardly.
-There are other kinds of trolls, he continues.
-Wow dad, that's... I start.
-That's great! The more trolls the merrier! Poppy cuts me off.
-You don't understand, these other trolls aren't like us, they're... different, Dad tries to explain.
-Different how? Different like Legsly? Poppy asks.
-I love being me! Legsly says.
-Like Buzzbert? Smidge? Skyscraper troll? Poppy continues.
-Yeah, different like me? Skyscraper troll asks happily.

-No it's not that. They're different in ways you can't even imagine. You see, we love music with a lovable hook, with an upbeat melody, and with a catchy rhythm that makes you wanna snap your fingers, tap your toes and wiggle your butt, dad explains with very vivid motions, and I look away embarrassed.
-That's our music. That's what makes us pop trolls, dad says. The trolls around us agree loudly. If shaking your tooshie is what makes us pop trolls then maybe I'll just become... whatever troll wrote that letter... they don't really seem like the "shake your tooshie" type of troll.
-But what makes the other trolls different dad? I ask.
-The other trolls, they sing different, they dance different, heck, some of them can't even begin to grasp the concept of hammer time! Dad goes up in mine and Poppy's faces. Everyone gasps in horror.
-Can't touch that! Legsly asks horrified and the chorus of hammer time starts, which results is complete chaos.

Weirdly enough, I didn't feel as appalled of the idea as the others clearly did. I mean I'd love to get a break from hammer time sometimes.
-Pause! The music stops as well as the chaos around us. People are completely still in their motions.
-We better take this somewhere more private, dad says. I nod and motion for our close friends to follow. Dad walks along the village, to the outskirts of it and towards what we probably should call the palace. There was a beautiful waterfall there, along with some old books and scripts that dad managed to rescue from the pop tree back in the day. None of our friends had ever been here, not even Branch, so they stand in complete awe of the scenery. I smile fondly, but try to keep focus on the task at hand.

Dad brings out a scroll and puts it on the table in front of us.
-It's a story as old as time, he says and clears his throat.
-In the beginning there was silence! He says and opens the scroll to show six sad looking trolls under a dark moon.
-Until one day, someone made a sound, he continues and shows the trolls in color under a shining sun.
-Our ancestors was so inspired by that sound, so they took six strings. And those six strings have the power to control all music. They could play anything! Dad shows us a picture of a lyre with six different colored strings on it.
-Techno, Funk, classic, country, hard rock and pop, and every kind of music in between! There was something for everyone, it was one big party, Dad explains.
-Woah! We all say in unison.
-Woah indeed, Dad says.
-But little by little, trolls became intolerant of each other's music, he continues and we gasp.
-They all fought over what kind of music the strings would play. The tribes then came to a decision, so they all took their strings and went their separate ways, dad explains.
-Oh no... I say and look carefully at the scroll.
-Those same tribes has lived in isolation ever since; Techno, country, classical, rock, funk, and us; pop, dad explains. Everyone frowns.
-But the elders came up with a prophecy that is yet to come true! Dad announces which makes everyone perk up.
-They said that one troll from one of these here tribes would not care for such differences and unite them once again! Dad says and shows us a picture of all the elders of the tribes holding hands over a shooting star. I furrow my brows and look over the story again.

-Now Barbs announcement makes sense... Poppy says. Everyone looks at her.
-She wants to reunite the strings so the world can be one big party again! Poppy says and our friends agree... but I don't.
-Wait that all you heard? One big party? Branch questions her.
-Yeah! That's when all the trolls lived in harmony, and what's more important than living in harmony? Poppy asks him.
-Well, I heard fighting. The strings together will lead to fighting, Branch explains.
-Exactly Branch, that's why we need to keep our string safe, dad says and uncovers our string from behind the waterfall.
-Behold, the pop music string, dad plays it and a heart shoots out from it, along with a pleasant tune. Everyone gasps in awe.

-It's beautiful... I breathe out in awe.
-And powerful, which is why we can't let it fall into the wrong hands, dad explains.
-And it won't, not on my watch. What we need is a plan, Branch says and starts thinking.
-Which is why I've been planning for this day for years.... we run! Dad says and starts running.
-Run!? Me and Poppy asks shocked.
-And hide! Dad continues as Poppy stops him in his tracks.
-On it! Branch says and starts running away with dad.
-But we don't even know what we're running from? I ask.
-Were running from Barb and all of the other different trolls, dad explains.
-Well that's not fair. You're assuming the worst  about someone you haven't even met! I counter.
-You're not listening to me, dad tries to reason.
-Well you're not listening to us! Poppy says.
-Well I'm your father! Dad counters.
-And we're the queens! Me and Poppy yells back.
-Uhhhh- father trumps queen. Now there's no time to debate this, so let's go, dad says and starts walking. Branch tries to talk to us but dad is quicker.
-Come on Branch! Dad yells and Branch follows him. I sigh angrily and look at the scroll once again.
-We're all trolls! Differences doesn't matter! Poppy yells after them. As she growls and begins pacing, as she does when she's upset, I look at the maps, the trolls... the strings...

Why would something simple as a string keep us trolls from getting along? It makes no sense?