35: trouble in paradise

Y/N POV, 5 days before Valentine's Day:
-Hey Y/N... Cooper walks up to me.
-Hmmm? I ask as I am setting up a game for trolls to play.
-Have you been noticing that Poppy and Branch have been fighting a lot today? Cooper asks.
-Mmm-No? I don't think so, why? I ask.
-Well apparently dad had heard them argue about one of the games across town and then a few minutes later they argued a bit more about... something, Cooper says.
-Huh... we'll I'm sure it'll be fine, they're used to making up after fights, I say.
-You sure? They sounded pretty mad, he says.
-I'm sure. All their fights sound bad, I wave him off.
-Y/N! I hear Riff call out for me. Me and Cooper turn to him.
-I think I blew it with that girl, I introduced myself but I must've said something to upset her, Riff says hopelessly.
-Oh Riff, don't worry, I try to keep him positive.
-I'm worrying Y/N, I'm worrying a lot, Riff says.
-Ok so breathe, I know just the person to talk to about having a crush on a pop troll, I wink knowingly at him and call Barb to come to the game booth. Suddenly a pop troll walks up to the booth.
-Hwy is this game open yet? She asks and then throws a look at Riff, who's staring hopelessly down at the table.
-Uhm yeah, you wanna play? I ask.
-Yeah, she smiles. I tell her the rules and she plays, winning third place price.
-Aw better luck next time, here you go, I say and give her a very small stuffie.
-No worries. Happy valentines guys, she says and looks at riff and gently places a hand on his shoulder as she walks by. Riff looks after her before he continues to sadly stare at the ground.
-Oh not even a fun game can cheer you up? Barb joins us and Riff looks up.

-So Riff, you might have upset a pop troll... walk me through it, Barb takes a seat next to Riff at the booth.
-Well I walked over, told her my name and asked for hers. When she didn't answer I just told her that I thought she looked cool and that I'd like to hang out with her, Riff shrugs. Me and Barb share a confused look.
-And then? I ask.
-No that's it. She turned her back on me and walked away, Riff says.
-Riff, my man, there's gotta be more to this story, Barb says.
-No, Riff sighs.
-I'm that ugly, huh? Riff asks.
-No Riff, absolutely not, I say.
-Nah man you're cool! Hey, I saw a marketplace further down the road, let's hang out and talk about a new approach, Cooper says.
-Alright, Riff sighs.
-And I really like your hat, where'd you buy it? Cooper heightens Riffs self esteem as they walk away.
-Oh dang... Barb groans.
-Oh also did you hear about Poppy's and Branch's fight? She asks.
-Yeah, the game fight, right? I ask.
-No this was pretty bad, they even fixed so that they're sleep in different rooms, she clarifies.
-Ok I'll admit, that's bad, I say.
-What do we do? She asks.
-I'd say we just let them play it out, they'll make up after a while but... maybe keep an eye on them, I say and Barb nods.

Three days later:
-They haven't stopped fighting Y/N, I'm starting to become concerned, Barb whispers as we fix in the kitchen after breakfast.
-I know, me too... usually this plays out but... I shrug.
-Mmmyeah. And Riffs self esteem is lower than dads voice. We have to do something, Barb says.
-Alright... I think I have a plan, I say. She nods at me to proceed.
-Hey guys, we're heading out to the event, see you later? I ask.
-Yep, Poppy fakes a smile.
-Totally, Branch scoffs and Poppy stomps off to her room. Me and barb wince as we hear her door slam.
-Alright let's just go before they start fighting again, I say and we hurry out the door.
-So let's find Riff, I say.
-He usually hangs out in the park, Barb informs me.
-Alright, great, let's hope he's there, I say as we start our hunt for our friend.

-Riff! There you are! I say as Riff sits exactly in the spot that Barb told me.
-Hey guys, I'm not really in the mood right now, he says.
-Hey why the long face? Barb comes along.
-The girl rejected me, Riff says and holds up a small bouquet of roses and a small chocolate praline box. It was adorable.
-Oh Riff, I'm sorry, I say and sit down next to him.
-It's not your fault. I'm just not that good looking and I can accept that. And I'm not rich enough to hide it either, he says bitterly. My blood begins to boil.
-Hey Riff, it's not your fault at all, Barb says.
-What did she say to you? I ask, trying to hide my anger.
-Nothing, forget it, he says.
-Riff I know that line, I invented it now tell me what she told you, I say. He sighs.
-She told me that no broke and ugly college band member could ever have a valentine because we're pathetic... he says. Me and Barb look at each other. Then Riff hunches into almost a ball shape and we look up. The pop girl walks by, along with a couple of other girls, one being the girl that played my game a couple of days ago. The third place winner looks concerned at Riff. The green haired pop girl, the leader of the group, sneers at Riff as she walks past us. My face turns red.
-Excuse me, I stand up and walk after her.
-Hey! Hey you! I shout after them and they turn towards me. The green haired girl more confused than the others.
-Who do you think you are? I ask, starting to breathe heavily.
-What? She laughs dryly.
-I asked; who do you think you are? I ask again.
-And who are you? She asks, knowing full well who I am. She says it with an evil grin, and then laughing at her own so called "joke". But none of the other girls are laughing and she quiets down.
-Who told you that you have the right to bully someone like that? I ask and point to where Riff and Barb are sitting.
-So what? He dared to come up to me and hand me some cheap chocolate. And he smelled like sweat, she says and sneers again.
-He's a college student! How rich were you when you went to college? I ask.
-Look, I just don't want to go out with a rock troll, ok? They're gross, she says. My face then turns stone cold.
-Get out. I don't want to see your gold digging, privileged, tight ass hairdo anymore, I say. She gasps and then stomps away. The girl who is only seen once before walks up to me as the rest leaves.
-Is he gonna be ok? She asks.
-He will be. Thank you, I say.
-Alright... tell him I said hi, she says and then she runs after the others. I blink in surprise and stand rooted to the ground for a moment.

-Y/N? Are you ok? Barb asks and grabs my hand. I look at her.
-Yeah... yeah I think so, I say.
-You saw that last girl? I ask.
-Yeah what about her? Barb asks.
-I think she fancies Riff, I say.
-Are you sure? She asks.
-I am sure, I say and look at her.
-Only if you're really sure, I don't want to break his heart again, Barb says and we both look back at a broken drummer boy.
-I am 98% sure, I confirm and run after the girl.

Barb leads me back to Riff.
-So now what? He asks disappointed.
-We think we might've found you a valentines date, I say.
-She changed her mind? He asks confused.
-Nope. We found someone better, I say.
-Ok? He asks.
-Just follow us, Barb ushers him to stand up and we walk with him to the square.
-She's here somewhere, I say.
-Where? Riff asks as we look though the crowd.
-There! Barb says and points at the girl. She is really cute and actually looked nothing alike the other girl, but Riff tensed up.
-Wow... she's like really pretty, he says and his face blushes pink. Barb and I smirk at each other.
-Go man, give her your flowers and your chocolates! Barb shoves him out of his trance.
-What if she doesn't like me either? Riff says, backing out.
-Oh she likes you, she's told me. Now charm her, I say. Riff gulps and hesitantly walks over to her. We can't hear them talk but they both blush as they talk and she accepts his gifts. Me and Barb high five as the two walk off somewhere else.
-Barb, I think I know how to help Poppy and Branch! I then light up.
-Oh, ok? How? She asks.
-Just follow my lead! I say and drag her with me to the nearest stores.

The next day:
On two papers I write love letters to Poppy and Branch. But I word them in a way so that it sounds like they wrote to each other. I slide one under Branch's door and one under Poppy's. Barb prepares gifts for them to give each other and places them outside of their door. You see, on the notes I made it so that they asked each other out on a date and gave them gifts that they can give each other. That way they'll know that they still both love each other, even though they're too petty to say it. Me and Barb hide away as we see them meet in fancy clothes and they blush as they give each other the gifts before they hug and kiss. They made up, finally! They hold hands as they walk away to a restaurant together.
Me and Barb marks the day as a success and decide to make dinner to celebrate.
-Oh dang, we're good at this, Barb says.
-Yup, I say and fall into the couch, plate on the coffee table.
-Hey, isn't Valentine's Day soon? Barb asks and I look at my phone calendar and my eyes widen.
-Uh oh, I say.
-What? Barb asks.
-It's tomorrow....