Motives - XIII

This is a little bit shorter! And very convo heavy.

If you enjoy give it a vote (newish to Wattpad, not  entirely sure what the votes are for, but I see it all the time?)

*

Sam shivered nervously, "Damn it." She muttered with a tiny shake of her head, "Damn it all." She drew her coat around her tightly and quickened her pace, she was headed to the Washington's and she needed to get there as soon as possible before Josh had a complete meltdown. Again. Though she wasn't too sure how much help she would be, Chris was already there but he hadn't been able to get in touch with their missing friend as she had. Quinn's sudden, unexplained disappearance had had a surprisingly detrimental effect on his mental health; she knew they were close but she hadn't realised just how close...and Sam wasn't certain he'd be any better once he found out what she knew: exactly where Quinn was going. Suddenly Mike's previous words about Quinn drifted through her head, 'That girl is bat-shit crazy.' Honestly, at this point in time Sam was inclined to agree with him. 

It was just so frustrating! Earlier that day they'd been out shopping together for crying out loud, they'd had fun, Sam just couldn't understand why she'd left and her cryptic responses over the phone had been little help.

'I might not be alone after all and I sure as hell am not being anyone's replacement.' 

Sam had gone over what Quinn had said several times but it still didn't make sense to her. She wasn't alone, she was with Josh practically 24/7...and whose replacement was she supposed to be exactly?! Sam shook her head again, more vigorously this time; evidently there was more going on beneath the surface than anyone realised, she refused to believe Quinn would just up and leave everyone – leave Josh – for no good reason. 

Walking up the drive she quickly took her cell from her pocket to check the time, 4:17 and another text off Chris that read 'Hurry up!' she rapped lightly on the door and was surprised by the almost instantaneous response from within. 

"Samantha darling, hello." A rather wild-eyed Mrs Washington answered and held open the door for her, with a forced smile. "Come in, come in...Joshua and Christopher are upstairs just go on up."

Sam tried to smile, "Hi...Laura." Mrs Washington had long ago insisted that Sam refer to her by her first name, the price of growing up with her daughters and being an extension of the family – though it still didn't roll of the tongue naturally. "How's he doing?"

"I'm...not sure, he's been upstairs since this morning." Mrs Washington's own smile faltered and Sam suddenly felt guilty for asking.

"Right, I guess I'll go up and see what I can do." 

She started for the staircase when the elder Washington stopped her.

"Samantha...have you heard from Quinn? I...I've not seen Joshua quite so distressed in a while."

"Actually I have." Sam observed Mrs Washington perk up for a moment before Sam shook her head, "I don't have good news, she wasn't in a great way when we spoke and she didn't make much sense...she just said she might not be alone and that she wasn't going to be anyone's replacement." Mrs Washington's face suddenly went rigid and she paled.

"You're sure that's what she said...?" Sam nodded, confused by her reaction, "I see...well then I've held you up long enough, go see Joshua. Oh, he has an appointment with Dr Hill at 6...see if you can convince him to go?" Sam nodded slightly and allowed herself to be shooed upstairs and quickly made a bee-line for Josh's room; she didn't bother knocking, instead just letting herself in.