Intro

Autism is a wide spectrum. So it will be hard to write a character. Maybe you want your story to be more inclusive and/or diverse. We are not like some of the things you see on TV or Film. We don't all know how to hack into a government system. Sorry but it is true. We are more like Sam, Jasper and Amber in the Netflix series Atypical and Mark  and Joe from the Aword on the BBC. And also Henry from special on Netflix. We are not all like Raymond from Rainman maybe a tiny percentage of us and people didn't have the knowledge of autism they do today. If you have Netflix watch love on the spectrum which is the Australians dating(documentary).

I'm aiming this for if your book is turned in to a film. So it is not about someone nonverbal rocking and clapping in the background. This the level where someone with autism can work on set (please hire us for the autistic role).

As you see above that's a short list that's because if you look at a load of TV series together and find an Autistic character it will be very hard. If you noticed the girls name in there Amber. We do exist "HELLO!!!". Hopefully I can help you think of a character in a bit more depth. Its not all routine and flashing lights its more like emotions and social issue too.  

This will be in a British view and British culture because that's how I can only tell it. Hopefully I can make these transferable. Autism is all over the world. 

To my fellow Autistic people write in the comments. From your opinions to experiences the more people can portray us accurate. 

When writing about sensitive topics around Autism like discrimination, abuse, ableism write the themes as a warning for readers. When trying to talk about real life problems around do say some it before we read it. Just as you would with racism or sexism ect.