Questions and Answers

So by now you to be a little bit brave with writing a Autistic character. And have more awareness. We have many more things to add and explain to you. So here are an examples of questions where you might be nervous to ask. Or want a bit of inspiration.

I want to do a gay autistic character. Would people be ok with this?

Yes they would be.

I want an Autistic vampire in my story. Will people backlash to this?

No I dont think so. But go in depth about how they became a vampire. And their struggles.

Can a talking dragon be Autistic? 

Well as long as it mentions it has Autism. Add its behaviours in or how it misunderstands. Anyway I think it would be funny and not offended.

I want to do a female fairy with Autism for children is this ok?

Yes it is. How many do you see?. Add it I hope that children would love it.

I would love to do a story with werewolves. And add Autism into it. Is this ok?

Yes of course. You can.

Can I have a talking animal with signs of Autism? Will it offend people?

I have not seen any before.

Can my Autistic character be the villain? 

Approach with care on this one. Was it a misunderstanding? Were they they tricked into hating the hero?. Give it a bit more of a backstory. So your reader will understand where they are coming from.

 I want to do a historic story. Can I add a Autistic character in?

Whoah!!!. That will take a lot of digging in to. You need to do it right. We are not treated like we are now back then. If you go back to the 1800's and before they probably didn't know what is was and received terrible care. But do research.

What about if i want my Autistic character to be from another ethnic group than me?

Go for it.

How do people with Autism live? I need to write their living arrangement in my story?  What do I do?

That's brilliant. It depends and varies on their needs. With family, Independent with no support, Supported living with some of their own place with support. Or residential and just a room for themselves.  Charities or NGO's might be a place where they live in poorer countries(I'm guessing on that one). Depends on the country do check.

Can my Autistic character be royalty?

Yes now that would be great idea. How will they rule? will be a good question. Or even do they get to sit back and watch?.

My country has war/conflict/negative vibes. I feel I cant write a positive story about Autism. What can I do?

That's not a good place to be in. Add it to your story. Maybe add the trauma of being a refugee. Or living with the conflict going on. It will prompt your readers to think about other issues.

We don't have  big learning disabilities or autism groups in our country. It is underrepresented here. What can I do?

I don't know. That when I realise I'm lucky where I'm. I think you should try a human rights organisation. See if they have any facts or information. Reach out to international groups like charities in your country.  What ever information you do get use it. Add your culture background.

Can my character be rich and famous? and still be Autistic?

There are soo many examples out there. Not everyone will be like that. But yes.

I hope these prompt inspiration and answer some questions. If you are finding this helpful  please think about voting and commenting if you like. I would love to here what you think.