Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1: Celeste

The wisps of absolute darkness danced across her palm in a grace that rivals one of the fae ballet dancers, looking darker in the light that filtered through the translucent glass of her bedroom window.

Celeste had all her concentration on the caress of her magic on her hand and that familiar faint buzzing at the back of her head.

It has been years since she had first embraced her curse, and since then she has come a long way. She is now more in control of her magic than the magic being in control of her. Though there are still slip ups, when her emotions get the better out of her.

But she has learned it the hard way, that pushing away either of the two- the darkness and the emotions- are never a wise idea. The two more often than not, combine together and then the havoc they cause is worst to deal with. It is better if she let the two flow out of her regularly in small amounts.

Though she found herself wondering if she ever will get a chance to see just how much she can let go, but the fear of what happened years ago pulls her back.

A flash of Andrea's warm smile comes to her mind, making her wish she could go back to the time she had him, but the darkness inside her latches onto her in that small moment of weakness, and again she finds her head filled with a dozen different whispers, all giving her ideas on how she can get what she desires.

Either she can let go and rejoice as the darkness inside her burns all those down who are responsible for it, or she can plunge her soul in the Abyss they are offering with a sweet side dish of letting her live in the past with her ex-lover.

In a flash Celeste brings her hand back to her side with her fingers clenched in a fist, the dancing dark wisps vanishing in a second as she hardens her mind against the whispers, that gradually dull back to be the same barely there voices in fear of being caged again.

A knock on the door steals the attention of the witch, the door opening up without her permission as the daemon she has been friends with enters her room.

Tall as he was, Alan had a lean but muscular structure that is skilled with both guns as well as swords. A blessing for the witch who preferred the swords over any other weapon.

Not that she would ever need to use anything. Her magic was enough, but she liked to use weapons to provide a fair fight.

At least to those who deserve that.

"Planning to come out or not?"

Alan takes a seat on the edge of her bed, looking at her with his eyebrow raised. Celeste rolls her grey orbs in exasperation, she had been clear that she was in no mood to enter a room full of weres to have lunch, let alone ranked weres of her pack.

It has been about a decade since she has been officially introduced in the Anderson pack as the adopted daughter of the Alpha, and many of the pack wolves have accepted her as she was. But some of the orthodox, ranked wolves still don't like the idea of a witch sitting in the important meetings of the pack, let alone actually take charge of the situations.

"I thought I made my point that I am in no mood to deal with immature men today when I set fire to Fred's shirt?"

A deep laugh rumbles out of the daemon as he stands back up, shoving his hands in his front pocket as he looks at her in amusement, "As amusing that was for the whole Pack, the Alpha wants you there."

Huffing in annoyance, the witch gets up and makes her way out of the wooden structure that had been the division between her safe haven and the crazy world of outside.