Chapter 10

Celeste

It's been two days since they have come to the palace and yet the things seem to have stopped moving at all.

The king had sent a group of his trusted trackers to try and find if they can find anything near the PiQuet pack the very next day but they may take some time. The pack is thirty eight hours away in wolf forms, not counting the breaks they will need to take.

Celeste sighs, looking around to see everyone immersed in their works.

Kayden and Zack were filtering through a bunch of finances, Paige and Jason were sitting together and talking casually. Willow, Alan and Seth are hunched over the map laid out on the huge table on the far right of the room they all had claimed as their temporary office. It was one of the rarely used empty room which every one agreed to use to keep the secrecy from everyone and the room is now a neutral ground for everyone.

Including the king.

Zeus sat across the witch as typing a bunch of emails to the alphas near the Three Point Stream.

If their suspicion is right, it would mean that the people around there must have been monitored for quite some time, a matter that is very concerning no matter which side of the story they want to believe.

Everyone's attention is broken when Kayden's voice cuts through.

"Is there something going on between you two?"

Celeste follows the protector's eyes, signing in relief when they land on the mates in the room.

She shakes her head to bring her thoughts back where they belong, not even bothering to deny her wayward thoughts. She keeps her pen down, leaning forward to see the scene unfold, readily accepting the drama that is bound to happen as a distraction from the horrible things her mind was conjuring.

"Ye-"

"NO."

Jason was about to accept it when Paige herself sat straighter and yelled out the 'no'. The inner team stiffens. Even Zack did. They all knew about the two wolves being mates, all being happy for the soldier type man who has been looking forward to have someone of his own for years.

Clearly the she-wolf has not hinted her close ones of the existence of him, and that has hurt him as far as the witch can see.

Paige gets up shakingly, swallowing deeply before speaking to her brother.

"There is nothing going on that concerns you brother, Zeus you can get back t-"

She gets cut off when Jason stands up from his place next to her before gesturing to Seth and Celeste to follow him, giving a short bow to Zeus and then Zack before exiting the room.

Jason had always been a strong man, a werewolf who has always challenged the orthodox norms of were society. Leaving his position as the Warrior Chief, working hard and random under Celeste, having a vampire best friend and always being clear that his mate's choice will come first.

It had led to him being a man scorned in the Anderson Pack but all the ones close to him, the Alpha family as well as the team, had always assumed that his mate will be one lucky one.

Yet Celeste finds it hard to believe that the Royal Beta would deny being his mate, especially when mates are a blessing not a lot get these days.

Celeste and Seth found Jason leaning against one of the random French windows that faced the back forest of the palace, a few doors away from the new office. Celeste whispers and flicks her hand, effectively creating a shield to give them some privacy.