Flashback 2

FLASHBACK (Zeus)

The boy wasn't sure how much time has passed since the girl told him about her birthday. It could have been hours or mere minutes but he still had no idea what to say.

What do you tell a girl so young when she tells you that she has been stuck her for the past month and that tomorrow is her birthday?

He takes a deep breathe in, letting it out before he speaks again.

"I am sorry you have to be here tomorrow as well."

He waits, holding his breath to see how she responds.

"Don't be. There is hardly anything you could do."

Her voice, for the first time since the time she has first spoken to him, sounds sad and broken. The boy swallows deep, his heart breaking just hearing her small voice. He didn't like this on her. She sounds better when she speaks in the confident and casual way of hers, this sadness, it hurts him despite not even knowing who she is.

"On the bright side, you will be spending your day with me here tomorrow."

He tried to lighten the mood, not wanting her sad at all. In the short few minutes or the hour they have been together, she seems like a person who looks at the brighter side of every situation and he wants to make sure she keeps doing that.

"And what's so special about you?"

Relief, that's what the boy felt when he heard her respond to him the way she has been talking to him. Though once again, he questioned her mental health, to switch from sadness to confidence so easily at that age... he doesn't think it is healthy at all.

But he was relived anyway.

"Didn't you say I sound like a royalty? Who doesn't want to spend their birthday in presence of a royalty?"

A second passes before he hears her giggle slightly, followed by a small but heartfelt laugh.

"You sure are something else."

A grin lights up the boy's face, imagining her face and the smile she must have right now. He suddenly thought about her meeting his mom followed by the quick thought that people may be searching for him. Happy about his trail of thoughts, the boy shrugs his shoulder, continuing to talk to her.

"Who knows? Maybe my parents will find us by then, and then you can celebrate it with me and my friends."

"And why would I do that?"

"Because we will give you lots of gifts? That will be your best birthday ever, and my parents will call your parents too."

The boy's grin widened, thinking about having another friend in his little group of three. Paige will finally stop yapping about being the only girl in the group, not to mention the three can teach this small girl all the tricks they wished they knew when they were entering the teens.

However his happiness gets cut off when he hears her reply.

"Your parents can't call dead people Royalty."

His heart clenches painfully as he pities the young girl. He can't imagine his life without his parents at all, he won't be able to function a day without them. How can he, when his mom's face is the first thing he sees each morning, going to her room daily without opening his eyes till she is in front of him, and when his father's voice is what puts him to sleep each night.

He may be sixteen year old hybrid as well as a royal, but he can never deny that he is still a kid that his parents treat him to be, not that he ever wishes to change it. The two traditions were something that started about a decade ago, but it gives his parents pleasure to keep doing that and he is not about to let that go just for the sake of his image.

"I am sorry."

"Again, not necessary Royalty. Don't pity me."

He bites his lips, he once again pushes himself to find one of his two parts. If only he could use his powers, he could get out of here as well as take her with him. Even though he has no idea who she is, but he is sure a girl of that age doesn't deserve to be here.

"You will get out of here girl, soon."

"You getting out is more important than anything else."

Confused, he asks.

"What do you mean?"

Her heavy sigh is heard before she explains.

"They are trying to do something crazy, I am not sure what. But from what I know, they need you and me to complete it. I can not get out, not right now, but you need to."

Her words make him more confused than before.

"And if, by chance I do get out of here and you stay back, how will you get out then?"

Silence is all he hears before she says, her voice a mere whisper, that he was surprised he heard without his senses.

"I will merely let go."

He could feel she didn't want him to hear that so he kept quite, but his mind was running at the rate of miles per second. Who is she? Why was he brought here? Is she a hybrid like him? Does she have her supernatural part held back herself? What the hell is going on?

An hour passes by before he finally feels a stir at the back of his mind.

He sits up straighter, probing his wolf to appear or his daemon to allow him out of here. It takes time before he could feel his senses getting stronger, his skin heating as both parts of his being surge forward to break whatever has been blocking it out.

A groan leaves his lips as pain that he has been blocking out intensifies.

"Royalty?"

He hears her voice call out but before he can respond, another streak of hot white pain goes through his body, making him drop on his knees as he clutches his head in an attempt to stop whatever it is. It feels worse than his first shift and worse than when he first had his daemon.

A scream makes its way up his throat that he swallows, whimpering instead.

His nose picks up the most enchanting smell ever, a mix of bitter roasted coffee beans and sweet mouth-watering vanilla. The smell making his pounding head feel better and for a second his pain stops before it begins again.

His ears pick up the sound of a heavy door opening, its material scratching the surface and a few hurried steps coming down a stair.

"No. No, no, no. Royalty, no."

He hears the girl mutter before he hears the men outside his cell, a few muffled whoosh like sound followed by pickling sensation on his side.

"Leave him damn it."

Her screams go unheard as he senses stop being better for a second before they decrease again. The pain makes any thought incoherent, he could feel getting grabbed by men forcefully by his arms and getting dragged somewhere, her screams to let him go gradually lowering as the distance between them increases.

Before he could fully lose his senses, he had one last realization, a thought that finally got completed in his brain.

That girl, young, alone and locked, is noneother than his mate.