Chapter 1 - Heart of Ice

It was cold, like ice that seemed fragile, and yet served to be impenetrable after years of serving as a fortress. The crumbling dirt walls of the underground cities seemed to cave in around you, engulfing you in the cold, bitter memories that you had pushed far into the depths of your heart.

But with a slow exhale, you swept the feelings of discomfort aside.

You had a task at hand.

"Commander," your cold, monotonous voice broke the silence, "what are your orders?"

Erwin Smith didn't reply for a moment as he surveyed the scene before them.

"Pursue them at once," he said finally, pulling his hood over his head and taking off with his omni-directional maneuver gear.

You quickly followed suit, motioning for the two in your squad to follow. You narrowed your eyes in the direction of the three you were chasing whilst underground. A seemingly enthusiastic red-haired girl, a handsome blond-haired man, and a stranger with raven black hair that you couldn't identify from the back.

Without warning, the two in the rear split in opposite directions. You tilted your head to the side and your squad split in pursuit of them. You flew closer to Erwin without letting the raven-haired man out of your sight.

"It seems that they're rather experienced with using the omni-directional maneuver gear," you said, "wherever could they have learned such a thing?"

"For now, focus on capturing them," Erwin responded, "we'll interrogate them later."

"Yes, sir."

The raven-haired man slipped through a building structure. Without looking at Erwin, you followed him quickly. Flying over the building, your eyes scanned its nearly collapsing structure. If your calculations were correct, judging by the man's agility and speed in using the gear, he would pass by the desired position...

Now.

You dropped downwards, crashing through the wood, and landed right on top of the raven-haired man.

He turned in mid-air in an attempt to throw you off, but it was too late. By the time he had risen back to his feet after landing on solid ground, Erwin had intercepted him with a blade.

"Stop it. Take a look around you," Erwin told the man.

"Tch."

Seeing that his comrades had been captured, the man dropped his blade and stepped back.

Erwin nodded and you grabbed the red-haired girl, cuffing her hands and shoving her down into a kneeling position. The same was done to the others.

When they were lined up, defenseless and defeated, Erwin gave you a glance. You walked over to hand him the red-haired girl's maneuver gear, which you had confiscated shortly after her capture.

"I'll ask a few questions," Erwin said, holding up the maneuver gear, "where did you get this? You guys are skilled with 3D Maneuver Gear. Who taught you all that?"

When there was no response, he walked up to the raven-haired man, looking down at him.

"You're their leader, right? Were you trained in the military?" Erwin asked.

The man merely gave Erwin a spiteful glare. Erwin cast a glance in your direction and you promptly made your way back over to him, snatching the blade that the raven-haired man had discarded from the ground. Grabbing the red-haired girl by the shoulder, you held the blade to her throat.

"Answer the question," you said.

"I'll ask one more time," Erwin spoke again, "where did you learn to use 3D Maneuver Gear?