Chapter 14: Then Live for Me

"T-to Wall Sina?" you repeated, your voice trembling slightly. 

"Indeed," Erwin confirmed.

"But, Commander," you objected. "I'm no longer a squad leader. Wouldn't Levi—"

"What are you saying, brat?" Levi asked, looking at you sharply." If Erwin says so, there's no point in arguing."

Again, you marveled at how much trust Levi had in Erwin's decisions. He had gone from wanting to dispose of Erwin to becoming one of his closest associates. And although his words were harsh, you knew that Levi understood your feelings.

He knew that you were afraid of recalling painful memories from your experiences in Wall Sina. And he wanted you to face your fear. 

But you weren't ready. 

You bit your nail nervously, an act that didn't go unnoticed by the man beside you.

"Is that all?" he asked Erwin.

"Yes. You may go."

Levi took your arm, leading you out of the office. You stumbled after him, still frozen by the thought of Wall Sina. He released you as the door closed and the two of you stood in silence for a few moments.

"(Name)."

You looked up at him. Levi sighed.

"Are you going to continue to run away forever?"

"I..."

"You have to face them, (Name). You've suffered far too long. Overcome the obstacles," he said, placing a hand on your shoulder as he walked past you. "I know you can do it. I believe in your strength."

You reached for his hand, but it was already gone. You turned to watch him walk away from you.

"Live. And if you can't live for yourself..." Levi turned to look at you over his shoulder. "Then live for me."

You watched his back retreat further and further until he turned the corner and disappeared from your sight.

He was right. You had decided to become strong long ago. You had to live...for the orphans, for Sylvia, and most of all, for Levi, who believed in your strength.

You clenched your fist, staring into the empty hallway.

Alright. You would live for him. 

And it was with that firm thought in mind that you exited the carriage  escorted by the Military Police of Wall Sina. 

Levi was leaning against the side of the military police headquarters as you approached him. He raised a brow skeptically at your silence, but said nothing about it. 

"Let's go. We'll be late," Levi said instead, pushing himself away from the wall and stepping away from you.

"Alright" you said, falling into place beside him as you walked into the building.

You glanced over your shoulder at the penetrating feeling of being watched and saw that the piercing gaze of a golden-haired man had been fixated on you for a while. 

"Lev—"

You hesitated, then stopped yourself. 

"(Name)" Levi's voice called you out of your trance, "what are you doing? Hurry up."

"I'm coming."

~•~✾~•~

You tapped your fingers lightly against the desk. You sat in the chair of your temporary room, staring out the window.

The moment you had stepped out of the meeting room, you had received a letter from an unknown sender. Was it a coincidence?