Chapter 15: Out of Everyone in the World

"L-Levi, it hurts..."

"I'm being as gentle as I can."

"...it's too tight."

"You'll regret it if I don't do this now."

"But—ah!"

Your entire body jolted as Levi suddenly grabbed your arm and leaned in close.

"Hold still," he said quietly before turning his attention back to the task at hand, "how did you even manage to injure yourself like this?"

You stared down at your bruised foot, answering sheepishly, "I might have overdone myself with training."

"Idiot. You should know your own limits," Levi muttered, proceeding to tighten the bandages around your ankle.

"I wanted to get stronger," you said, a sad smile on your lips, "so that I won't lose the people I love."

Levi paused for a moment, then suddenly grabbed you by the waist, lifting you from his chair onto his desk in one swift motion.

Your fingers slid against the polished wood, looking for a grip as you nearly slipped backwards with the momentum. For once, his desk wasn't loaded with paperwork and his pen was nowhere in sight, as if he had unknowingly prepared for the moment that you would find yourself sitting atop his desk, staring down into his gray eyes.

Levi's hold on your waist tightened as he raised a hand to your hair, his fingers brushing the nape of your neck. He leaned forward until his lips hovered inches away from yours and you could feel his breath against your cheek.

Before he could close the distance however, you opened your mouth to stop him.

"...you're going to go on the expedition, aren't you?" you asked quietly, causing him to halt his movement.

Levi stared into your eyes, as if searching for an answer in your eyes. Then, "...yes."

"Was it Erwin's command?"

"And my duty."

You looked down. "Why...did you keep it a secret from me?"

"It's out of the question now," Levi said, "you're injured."

"But what about before?" you pressed, rather upset.

"I will be joining Erwin's squad for this expedition. There's no need for you or the others to join."

You shifted uncomfortably, "I want to go with you."

"Not this time, (Name)."

"Is it because you think I haven't recovered from the last expedition?" you asked.

"..."

"Levi," you said a little angrily, "it's been almost two years since the 23rd Exterior Scouting Mission. We've both recovered from the losses that time. I'm not weak. I've dealt with plenty of loss before. So why—"

You were cut off as Levi abruptly lowered you back into the chair, circling back around his desk to take a seat across from you. Then with a sigh, he said, "it's not that we don't think you're strong enough, (Name)."

"Then what?" you asked, feeling hurt, "why don't you trust me enough for this?"

"There are circumstances," Levi said, "won't you trust my word when I say it, (Name)?"

There was something off about his gaze. Almost...pleading you to stop questioning him.

"Is everything alright? You've been acting strangely since we returned from Wall Sina."