Chapter 13: Humanity's Strongest Soldier

"Levi?" Hange exclaimed, looking behind you excitedly.

You stiffened at the sound of his name. Why was he here again? Was he trying to expose your relationship to the entirety of the Survey Corps?!

"I feel like you've been coming to the mess hall a lot lately," Hange continued obliviously. "Is there a specific reason for that? Perhaps...someone you want to see?"

You stopped mid-inhale while trying to calm yourself, causing you to choke. You covered your mouth to muffle the coughing sounds you made as you tried to regain your breath.

"Don't be ridiculous," Levi said emotionlessly. "Now that I'm a squad leader, I have no other time to come down here, nevermind see someone."

"Oho, is that so?" Hange asked deviously. She turned to look at you. "But (Name), why haven't you said anything yet?"

You straightened and turned your head slowly to face him, understanding that there was no alternative. Levi stood just a foot away from the pair of you. His eyes met yours for a brief moment before flickering to the side. 

"Squad Leader," you said with an equally stiff composure. "It's been a while."

Levi raised a brow and you were once again, reminded of the events that had taken place two days ago. Before your face could erupt in a blush, you turned back around, busying yourself with putting on your jacket.

"If you find your work that overbearing, I wouldn't particularly mind giving you a hand," you said, a little too coldly. "After all, you're just a novice who's taken over these duties."

"I don't recall requesting any help," Levi responded indifferently. "Although I doubt you would be of much use."

"Unlike you, I finished my work early enough to prevent stacks of paper from obscuring my face from view," you retorted. "Although, mind you, your height doesn't require much paper to cover."

The reaction from Levi was so subtle that you had barely notice him jolt in annoyance. But at the same time, you could sense that he was greatly amused by your flustered taunting.

"I hate to interrupt your little quarrel," Hange said, blinking excitedly. "But I did discover something new about the tita—"

By the time she had reopened her eyes, the table was empty.

"Wha—hey! Come back! I haven't told you two yet!"

Right outside the mess hall, Levi released his grip on your wrist after having pulled you away from Hange. The two of you averted eyes uncomfortably. You kept your gaze trained on the ground while he looked up at the seemingly interesting ceiling. Finally, when the silence became overbearing, you began to speak. 

"Erm—"

"Oi—"

You stopped, looking at each other in surprise. This time, you found you couldn't look away. You covered your mouth with the back of your hand, looking to the side.

"...sorry for making fun of you," you muttered. "I was just scared that she would find out."

"That's alright. I was harsh, too. And besides," Levi smirked. "You have an interesting sense of humor."

"I just can't seem to be cold to you, anymore," you murmured, turning your head away. 

"Then don't," Levi answered. 

Wordlessly, you reached for his hand, which was cold in your grasp. You held his hand close to your chest, your gaze softening as you began to speak. 

"I can't stop thinking about you. My heart beats so fast that I can't breathe. I can't stop wanting you. I can't stop wanting to be with you."