Chapter 5 - A Broken Promise

Warning: This chapter contains descriptions of graphic violence and death. Read at your own discretion.

Two Years Earlier...

"Are you nervous?" you asked Charlotte, who rocked back and forth on her horse.

She jumped, seeming startled as you addressed her.

"No, I just...I just...the titans are..." Charlotte brought her hands up to cover her face, "I'm so terrified. I don't want to go. I don't want to lose my life!"

You stared at her for a few moments before turning to face the front. "Then don't go."

Charlotte looked up at you. "W-what?"

"Don't go," you repeated, "but remember...remember the reason why you came here. Remember your training and perseverance. Was training to protect humanity all for nothing?"

"N-no...I just..."

"You are a member of the Survey Corps," you said, spurring your horse forward, "that's who you are. And that's what you ought to remember."

~•~✾~•~

How much time had passed since then?

You glanced to your right, where Charlotte nodded to Leon and looked forward in anticipation. She was no longer the child who had trembled before these very gates two years before. Now, she was a true member of the Survey Corps.

"Squad Leader?" Charlotte asked, "is something the matter?"

"No," you said, turning back to face the gate.

"Squad Leader."

You inclined your head, gesturing that you were listening.

"Thank you," Charlotte said, "for leading me here."

You closed your eyes and gave a small sigh. "It wasn't me, Charlotte. It was you. If there's anyone to thank, it's yourself."

"That's not true," Charlotte argued, "I still remember your words to this day. No matter what happens, I always remember that I am a member of the Survey Corps. It has kept me dedicated to my duties to this day. And so, I would also like to say something to you, Squad Leader."

"Is that so? Go on."

"Squad Leader...you have always been rather cold and distant to everyone around you," Charlotte said, a little sheepishly, "yet there are many instances in which I...no...we have all witnessed the kindness that is hidden within. One day, I hope that you can find a person who will provide you the warmth to relinquish the unrelenting icy hold that your past has on your heart. I hope that one day, you will find peace."

A momentary wave of peace washed over you. But it was only momentary. However, even if only for a moment, you felt the ice in your heart shift. Only a little. Your squad members had always given you support, no matter how harsh you had been with them. You had never gone out of your way to greet them or to get to know them. And yet, they had noticed the small moments in which you felt that you could finally break through the ice and open up to the entire world. In the past, like a fool, you had also hoped to find peace one day. But now far past your optimism, you knew...

"Thank you, but that...is no longer possible," you said. "After everything that occurred in my past, my hopes for peace disappeared from my life many years ago."