Chapter 12: Hold Me

You knocked on the door, listening carefully for the monotonous reply.

"Come in."

The door of the office that had once belonged to you creaked as you opened it slowly. The room itself remained unchanged, all the furniture unmoved and the windows slightly drawn to let in the natural sunlight. However, in seeing the person at the desk bent over his paperwork, you hesitated. For reasons unknown to you, you felt it would be a terrible idea to open the door any further, in the event that you lost your composure upon the sight of him. 

"What are you doing, brat?" Levi asked without looking up from his work, his voice displaying an air of annoyance. "Either come in or leave."

"Y-you seem busy," you said, ignoring his comment in favor of opening the door a little wider.

"That's because you resigned and dropped your responsibilities on me," Levi said, finally looking up at you.

The moment your eyes met his, you found you couldn't look away. Your dream from the night before was still vivid in your mind, causing you to blush and shake your head.

Don't be an idiot. Like that would ever happen...he didn't even react to your kiss back then! 

Your eyes drifted down towards his hand, loosely holding his pen, suddenly causing you to recall the touch of his fingers on your hand as his eyes burned intensely into yours. 

Stay. Don't leave.

Hearing his words echo in your mind, heat rose to your face and you backed away out of the office, slamming the door shut. You leaned against the door, breathing heavily. What was this feeling? Why wouldn't you speak coherently in his presence or look him directly in the eye? Why did your fingertips tingle whenever he was near, as if they craved his touch? Why did your heart beat so fast? It was almost as if...

Your thoughts were cut off as the door swung open abruptly. You leapt back at the last second to avoid falling into the room. One hand holding the door open to prevent you from closing it again, Levi looked at you, seeming irked.

"If you were going to disturb my work, you should have come with a good reason," he said.

"I..." You found that you couldn't find the words to formulate an excuse in your mind spinning with thoughts and instead, shut your eyes. "My heart's beating so fast."

There was no point in hiding anything from Levi anyway.

Levi frowned. "What—"

"I can't stop thinking about you," you interrupted, still unable to look at him, "but when I'm near you, I can't look at you and I can't find the words I want to say. It's so strange. I've never felt this way before. Levi...just what are you to me?"

There was a momentary pause and you waited anxiously for his response. What would he think about what you had just admitted to him? Finally, Levi made to close the door, causing your heart to drop in an instant. 

Is this...rejection?

Then, in a swift, unexpected movement, Levi grabbed your wrist, dragging you back into the room before slamming the door shut behind you.

There were a few moments of silence before Levi's voice drifted towards you. "I know how it feels."

"Y-you do?" you stammered, unable to believe your ears. 

Levi cleared his throat, averting his gaze before answering, "...I do." 

At his words of affirmation, your mind became a chaotic mess and you couldn't form a single rational thought. You were completely lost in your confusing feelings, in a maze that you couldn't escape. And yet, you knew deep in your heart, that this feeling was a completely different one from what you felt towards Erwin or anyone else.