Chapter 16: Goodbye

"Is he...gone?"

~•~✾~•~

You walked through the hallway, flipping through the stack of papers in your arms. There sure seemed to be a lot more than there were when you were Squad Leader before.

"(Name)."

You turned around. "Petra. Did you need something?"

"You look like you need some help," Petra chuckled.

"Ah, thank you."

There was silence as you walked to the office together. You opened the door to the dark, empty room. Petra placed the papers carefully on the desk, looking around.

"It seems clean for an office that isn't currently being occupied," she remarked.

"He always did like keeping things clean," you said, brushing your fingers against the back of the chair, "so I've been tending to it."

"I see" Petra said. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault," you said, giving her a sad smile, "it's that idiot who should be apologizing."

"That reminds me," Petra said, "Squad Leader Hange wanted to see you."

"Hange did?" you asked, tipping your head. "When?"

"Right away, if possible." 

"Then I'll head over right away."

Once in Hange's office, you couldn't help but look around. It was always the same every time. 

"Pfft," you chuckled as you saw the mess of papers that littered her desk.

I wonder what that clean freak, Levi, would think if he saw this.

You lowered your gaze.

Levi...

~•~✾~•~

"Levi?" you asked, bursting excitedly into Erwin's office.

Erwin sat alone at his desk, staring thoughtfully out the window.

"Erwin? Where's Levi? Why did you come back so late?" you asked, "how did the expedition go?"

"We lost many, as we always do," Erwin responded without looking at you.

You remained silent for a few moments, processing his response, the atmosphere, and the fact that he wasn't there.

"Erwin...tell me..." you said slowly, your blood beginning to run cold.

"Is he...gone?"

~•~✾~•~

You leaned back in Hange's chair, covering your face with your arm. 

You're an idiot. A real b*stard. Even though you promised me...

"(Name)? You're here already?" Hange asked, bouncing into the room.

"Hange," you said, turning to her. "Actually there's something I would like to ask you, too."

"You? Ask me?" Hange asked excitedly, "well, well, what is it?"