Chapter 37

This can't be happening. Megan looked around her in disbelief. How can this be happening?

Before the group stepped into that theatre, she had believed they were in charge of the scenario that time: Dennis had stopped the mole from getting word out of Olympus to the enemy, he and Arthur were on that mole's trail at that moment, she, Ricardo and the kids had solved and uncovered the location of the Doomsday beacon, and they were going to stop Martin for good before he had the chance to use Item 13.

But somehow he managed to best us again, Megan realised disappointedly. How?

"Surprised?" Martin's question snapped her out of her thoughts to see the smug smile on his face. "You should be. You're playing against the best after all."

"This isn't a game, Martin," she returned, "real lives are at stake here; and if you deploy Item 13, I'm afraid even you may lose yours."

"Well Miss Months, that's a risk I'm willing to take."

Martin took a big, exaggerated bow before signalling to his men and they opened fire.

Kei caught the first round of bullets with her katanas as she zoomed around the team, but one of the second wave's hit her shoulder and she fell to the ground. Fortunately, it gave Adolf ample time to spread his wings around them and the bullets ricocheted harmlessly off them.

"Martin's gone," Jay announced as he put his hand to the ground, presumably to feel the energy around him for intel. "He took Item 13 with him too."

"We have to stop him before he uses it." Megan looked to the others for ideas.

Just then, Ricardo's face took on a calculating look and he brought out his phone for a dial.

"Umm, hotshot, I don't think this is the time to be calling your girlfriend," Kei said to him.

"It's not my girlfriend I'm calling." He showed her his phone.

"Mr. DiSanto," the voice of one of the guards they met at the building's entrance earlier suddenly came on, "you called me."

"Hey Chen, buddy, I don't know if you have access to the restricted area but I heard that some men may have broken into it and are planning to cause trouble there."

"On my way, sir." The call ended as Chen started to speak Mandarin presumably to the other guard stationed with him.

Despite the dire situation, Megan couldn't help the curious look that came on her face. "You collected his number," she said.

"He stuck it to my hand when I shook him," he corrected. "I thought it would be rude not to accept so I did."

And you found a way to make it come handy too, Megan added in her head, suddenly finding herself impressed of the ingenuity of Ricardo's mind.

Just then, Adolf's wings suddenly began to glow and he let out an, "Oh-oh!"

"What does "Oh-oh!" mean exactly?" Ricardo looked at him.

"EMP."

We can't have an EMP here right now! Megan screamed in her head. A blast like that would surely attract attention to the team's presence; and it wouldn't even help their case all that much against the assailants still trying to kill them even then.

Plus who knows what it would do to the building? She added in afterthought. The last thing the team needed was another bomb to deal with in addition to Item 13's threat.

Unless there was no bomb at all, the thought suddenly came to her; and so did a plan.

"Jay, have you ever dealt with an EMP before?" she asked.