17

I feel like I stare up at that broken part of the bathroom ceiling all the time. It just wishes for me to look and is probably begging me to fix it.

I sigh as I spit the rest of my toothpaste out. I look at myself in the mirror. A smile grows on my face. Life is pretty good. I feel... stable. If that's the right way to put it.

I have work tonight from four to eight so I'm getting ready to go. I grab my bag from the hanger on my door and race down the stairs, knowing I'm probably already running late.

I quickly open the door, without noticing I barge into someone. "Ah!" I called out in surprise. My wide eyes look up and I'm met with Roman, who's watching me very... nervously.

Uh oh. "Roman," I sigh. "You can't scare me like that, it's terrifying."

He does his best to smile and chuckle but I can tell there's something bothering him. My anxiousness about being late for work returns as I wait for him to speak.

"Sorry, I just needed to talk to you," he says, his forced amusement rolling away.

"About what?" I ask curiously.

He hesitates, the tension of his body is kind of scaring me.

"I have a fight," he says. "Next week, but it's not here,"

My face scrunches in confusion. "Where is it then?"

His eyes cast downward. "Chicago," he says.

I'm not sure why he's telling me this, but I'm not so sure it's a goodbye. "Why are you telling me this?" I ask.

His eyes lift up to mine. "I want you to come with me," he offers.

I blink at him. "Me? Come with you? To Chicago?"

He chuckles. "Yes,"

I bite my lip considering. "I have-"

He nods. "Class, work, I know," he says in an understanding tone. "I already asked my professors to email me stuff and I thought you could do the same."

I'm still confused though. Which leads me to my next question, "Why do you want me to come?"

His hazel eyes are anxious again, almost like he feels guilty. He runs his hand through his hair. "I don't know, it could be fun. Just the two of us."

That makes me smile. His nervousness does too. He's never like this, he's always the one who's never afraid of anything. "Could I think about it?" I ask. "I'm already late to work and I'll have to email my professors and-"

He's quick to interrupt me, "Brooke," he says in a low voice. "It's okay, just let me know," He says kindly. He leans against the railing on the porch, hands in his pockets. He looks more at peace now that he's done asking questions.

I smile at him and get close to him to peck him on the lips. "I'll call you later, okay?" I tell him.

"Sounds like a plan Princess," he smirks.

I roll my eyes and brush past him to Bailey's car.

TTTTTTTTTTTT

The whole night of work I was thinking through the idea of going with Roman to Chicago. It was an odd invitation with underlying things he isn't telling me. I know there's another reason he wanted me to come but I can't think of what it could be.

I rolled my eyes thinking that he just wanted to get me alone so we could have sex. Because yes, we haven't yet. We've done... well other things, but it hasn't crossed that line, yet. I'm willing to, but I wanted to give it some time. We've been great lately and I'm not sure if that would screw it up or make it better.