Chapter 26

*trigger warning*

Death threats

Was she always this quiet?

Sakusa observes as you unpacked your lunchbox. You took out a pair of chopsticks and caught him staring at you.

"What's wrong?"

He coughs and averts his gaze, "nothing, sorry."

Some time has passed ever since you've had that cold and though you were physically in a better position, he couldn't say the same for your mental state. There was this fear that was starting to crawl up on him. It planted itself deep in his chest, spreading to every part of his body.

Sakusa had no idea if it was just in his head, or if this was the harsh reality, but it began to feel like you were pushing him away somehow.

Your greetings in the morning didn't seem half as enthusiastic as before, you didn't bother retorting whenever he jokingly insulted you, you haven't complained to him about bitchy teachers or pestered him to hang out with you in a while either.

But mostly, the way you looked at him... was so void, even cold, almost.

It was late afternoon and the school was nearly empty. The two of you stayed back taking different extracurriculars and when the coach dismissed practice early, he headed straight to your locker as swiftly as possible. Sakusa stood there waiting urgently for you to appear.

Where is she?

What have I done wrong?

Why is she avoiding me?

Does she hate me?

"Y/N."

Glancing at him, you inclined your head in acknowledgement. You open your locker only to have Sakusa slam it back shut.

"What, Kiyoomi." Impatience seeped through your voice.

"You're avoiding me." He mumbled.

"Am I?" you respond dryly. "How?"

"Can you not tell by yourself? Do you really need me to explain?" Through his monotone expression, you failed to hear the vulnerability in it.

You sigh, "I'm fucking tired, Sakusa. Move."

That stung more than he boy would've thought.

Grabbing him by the wrist, you tried to pry his hand off but he stepped in between you and the locker door, further blocking your path. Your tolerance was corroding.

A concoction of frustration and despair roused within him, it bubbled and rose before shaping itself into words. "I just need you to tell me why..." he pleads.

Guilt poisoned your heart at the knowledge that you've hurt a close friend. "Look, I don't know what's wrong with me either..." you gave him a look of apology. "I think I just need a little break and some time apart."

Seconds hobbled on before Sakusa's hand slid down the locker door, giving you access. As quickly as possible, you organize your things and swing your school bag over your shoulder. You turned to him and cracked a weary smile, "I'm so sorry, but after I fix myself up, we can continue being the way we used to. Promise."

Sakusa did nothing to stop you from exiting the school building, watching you as you disappeared from the school gates.

'A little break and some time apart'