11 | The Fall of Hans Gruber

We reached the 13th floor, where Hans ordered to meet

We reached the 13th floor, where Hans ordered to meet. My Dad informed Powell about the deal as I begged him to stop any police or FBI attack and just leave it on us. Powell proven he was a good man as he agreed and promised to make sure it will be that way. Dwayne sure wasn't any pleased but there was no choice, Hans still kept a lot of people hostage, including my Mom. Although I knew he would never harm anyone, in many terms he was criminal but not ruthless murderer.

My Dad left the elevator as first, holding me back. He was still way worried, but I tried my best to wave it away. We saw that the hostages were still in lobby, below the balcony we just crossed. It was exactly as Hans promised it to be. "Hans!" My Dad called, until I finally noticed him as he was standing near the window. For my surprise, he wasn't alone but holding my Mom. Exchange. That was my first thought and I wasn't wrong at all. "Cowboy." Hans turned, not that surprised and yanks my Mom into view.

"John! Caroline! Don't give her up to him! Don't do it!" She yelled. "It's okey, Mom, it's okey." I called. Hans smiled as he saw me stepping from the back of my Dad. "It's not okey. John, take her away! Take her away." My Mom continued to panic, but my Dad accepted the deal. His trust to me and Hans was stronger than what his wife found right. "You're still a man against law in my eyes and I don't do this because I want." My Dad muttered. "But I trust my daughter enough to listen to her."

"That's a right decision." Hans commented, letting my Mom go as soon as I was slowly approaching him. My Mom had no time to share her protests as Dad pulled her in his arms, trying the best to calm her down about the situation. "Liebling." Hans chuckled as I wrapped arms around him. "I missed you." I whispered, staying close in his embrace. "You? Me? No way you could miss me more than I did." He smiled, stroking hair from my face so he could look me in the eyes. "This means..you really want to be with me?"

"I do. Of course I do, I promised to stay and stand by you no matter what, don't you forget that." I reminded and by that I sure made him nothing but satisfied. "That's my girl." He grinned, leaning down to me so we could kiss until my Dad broke the silence. "Now that you have my daughter, you should realize two things. If you hurt her, make her sad or do even the tiniest mistake, I'm gonna kill you. Understand?"

I rolled my eyes about it, but Hans kind of laughed out. "These are rules for boys, not for a man. But as a man I would never fail any single one of them." My Dad little raised his eyebrows but ended it in a nod. I smiled about it. This sure wasn't the boyfriend reveal I thought of back then but I quickly came to realization I would never want anyone else than Hans. He really was all I was looking for, it just taken time to finally face it.

My Mom had mixed feelings, but I could say this all made her finally realize Hans means no harm about me. "Fritz!" Hans suddenly called. "Free them!" As the order was said, I noticed Fritz walking the hostages the direction of roof. "I keep my word." Hans said, turning at my Dad. "You both are free to go too." My Mom gave look first to Dad and then Hans. "But Caroline..I'm not leaving at all without her!"

"Mom, it's going to be alright, I will return sooner or later, I promise." I said, giving her a hug. I little turned at Hans. I really hoped he will allow me to see my family when this all finally ends. I was sure he had plan prepared. "But how? If you stay with him you'll be chased be the police and all about that!" She cried out. "I thought this through enough, Mrs. McClane. It might take little long. When you steal six hundred dollars, you can disappear...but when you steal six hundred million, they will find you...unless you play dead." Hans explained.

"Oh God." My Mom kept shaking, but I gently wiped her tears. "But I wouldn't bare Caroline's pain to live without her family, so I'll do all in my power to make this work." Hans assured. "Mom, please believe it, this all will work out for both sides. I love him, Mom. You remember when you struggled with Dad, you said I'll understand when I fall in love. I understand now and it's all thanks to him. Please believe him. Believe me." I said, staying close to her.

She softly smiled, kissing the top of my head. "Not my little girl anymore, right? But that makes me even more proud deep down." She sighed, making me hug her again. "I love you, Mom. Thank you." I said, before I turned from the hug to return back to Hans. He squeezed my hand and for first time I felt like this all has chance to end well. But I realized the complete opposite when I noticed Karl, stepping out of the dark corner. "And that's it. That's the blood you promised me?"

"Karl, put the gun down. I told you you'll get most of the money, now calm down and put the gun down." Hans ordered, but Karl completely ignored it. "Fuck it all! He killed my brother! This girl completely ruined you, you promised me his blood and now you even let them all go?! I'll get what I deserve!" He shouted and I gasped as he was about to start fire. My Dad instantly get down with my Mom to protect themselves, but I realized he's about to shot me.

Hans immediately stepped in front of me but the bullet passed right through his shoulder. The window behind us splattered with blood, shattering. My Dad quickly acted and fired himself, ending Karl for good. Meanwhile Karl dropped his gun and felt on ground, dead, I tried hold Hans to not fall, but it was pointless. I yelled out as he felt against the windowsill, hanging on the last reserve, me holding his hands with all the remaining strength.

"Hold!" I shouted, trying pull him back but although I tried my best I couldn't. I started to realize I'm actually falling off the edge as well. My Dad quickly grabbed me from behind, lifting me up. He could pull me back, but it was impossible pull Hans back. "Let go!" Hans shouted as he realized he will drag me down too if I keep holding him. "Never! Keep holding my hand!" I exclaimed, tears falling down my cheeks how painful it been and how terrified I was. I couldn't let him go. Never.

Now that I had him back I couldn't lost him. Just couldn't! "I can't hold this forever!" My Dad yelled as he was holding me from last forces. "Caroline! Caroline, look at me!" Hans shouted to make me pay attention. "Forgive me." He said and then it happened. I held him the tighest possible, but then Hans's hand widen and slipped from mine. He let go. "HANS!" I screamed, watching the worst and hardest view of my life. My Hans falling, still having eye contact with me, falling to the darkness of the night. Falling to his death. Forever disappearing from my sight.

• • •

Hello everyone! So, before any discussion starts, I want you to know that this isn't the final chapter, this is the penultimate one! There is still hope something's going to happen and our Hans will survive. Or not? I don't want to spoil anything, just stay tunned, I promise you won't regret it. I really had struggles in this chapter, as it left me little sad and I still think it could be better, but it is what it is. Anyway I hope you enjoyed at least little and I apologize for all my mistakes. Thank you so much for reading and see you in comments! Sending love