3 | Hans Gruber

All looked just fine

All looked just fine. The party stayed the same, crowded and very wild, but I spotted Mom easily. "Ah, look that's my daughter!" She pointed my direction as she noticed me. "She changed so much from that teenager on the old photo, what a babe she is now!" I smiled over Mom's friends who were kind of complimenting how I grown up. It might been little awkward, but I had to handle it. "Mom, can I talk to you? It will be a while." I finally get to the important. "Yes, sure, we'll be right back." She agreed.

"What is it, sweetie?" She asked as we stayed in a quiet corner, close to elevator. "I think you should give Dad a second chance. He deserves it, I swear! He misses you so much and so do I." I started, hoping I put it all right and clear. "I know you're building a career here and I'm so very proud of you, but..but is career the same worth as family?" She stared at me for a while and then softly smiled. "You really grown up so much, grown up to such a mature woman without me. Yes, you're right, sweetheart, you really are but it's not as easy as it seems to be."

"What's not easy, Mom? Please tell me, I'll do anything in this world to help it." I demanded, not ready to give up. "When you fall in love, sweetie, you'll understand it." She responded, stroking my cheek. She wanted to continue, but then, all of sudden, the doors to a service elevator opened. And there I saw him for the first time. The doors opened to reveal Hans Gruber and his henchmen who were armed with Kalashnikov machine guns and carrying canvas kit bags.

But I ignored them and it all, as Hans's eyes stared fully into my soul. Staring at me as a predator stares at its prey. He was impeccably dressed, lean and very handsome, his two eyes were so captiving to even express it. He stepped out into the lobby like he owns the building, it was about time to find out in some way he actually does. Our eye contact ended as soon as his men started the terror.

People were screaming and yelling, so did my Mom who grabbed my wrist, trying to escape. She was immediately stopped by one of these terrorists, who angrily pointed at her with the gun. I gasped as I worried the worst, since I already heard gunshots in the room, but suddenly Hans confronted him to back off. "Idiot! I told you no killing! Not yet.." He frowned and then turned again at me. I was shaking as his stares stressed me out. "Take her to the rest." He ordered and points at my Mom. "Caroline!" She panicked as they dragged her away from me.

I wanted to run behind her but Hans grabbed my arm faster. I didn't panic, I just felt insane fear in me, which slowly disappeared as I realized he's walking me the same direction as his men walked my mother. To the rest of the hostages. "Stay calm." He whispered, like he wanted only me to hear it. Like he knew I was scared to death. I only looked at him in surprise, but didn't respond or said anything.

He setted me free as soon as we got between the crowd of hostages. "Caroline! I'm here!" My Mom called and quickly pulled me closest to her. I felt Hans was still staring at me, but I tried ignore it. Instead I was looking around with hope to see Dad somewhere. He wasn't trapped here with us, so there was hope after all. As we all were bunched together, I noticed Ellis seeking out my Mom. He was clearly scared but tried to fake courage.

I didn't payed him attention as Hans stepped on top of the stairs and dedicated a look over the group. He reached into a pocket...which made several people gasp...but what he came out with is a Bottega Venata pocket notebook. "Ladies and gentlemen. Due to the Nakatomi Corporation's legacy of greed around the globe...they're about to be taught a lesson in the real use of power. You will be witnesses." He said. His voice was deep, but in same way so soothing to listen.

"Now...where is Mr. Takagi?" He asked, walking down to the crowd. "Joseph Yoshinobu Takagi. Born, Kyoto, 1937." He started to name every single information, checking all men one by one. "Don't move. Family emigrated to San Pedro, California, 1939. Interned at Manzanar, 1942 to '43. Scholarship student, University of California...1955. Law degree, Stanford, 1962. M.B.A., Harvard, 1970. President, Nakatomi Trading. Vice Chairman, Nakatomi Investment Group."

"Enough!" Takagi's voice filled the air just like a thunder fills the sky during storm. "I am Takagi." Hans looked satisfied, stepping closer to him. "How do you do? It's a pleasure to meet you." He chuckled. Takagi didn't responded, he only followed the instructions and Hans's men to elevator. Hans stayed in the crowd, studying all the employers. For my surprise, his look ended on me. My Mom squeezed my arm and tried pull me behind her.

"Are you scared?" He asked me. I stayed silent as all eyes were on me, although the only ones I fully payed attention were his. Lying to terrorist? I think not. "Yes..Yes, I am, sir." I answered to the complete silence. Hans smiled for himself, like he was happy about my honesty. "Admitting fear is many times braver than pretending courage." Hans commented, throwing a short stare at Ellis but then instantly looked back at me. "It's sir Gruber, miss brave, now if you excuse me." He said as last and then joined his men.

I could hear him talking with his men in germany and I was taken by shock. "Das Mädchen ist wunderschön, finden Sie nicht?" Those were last words I heard before the doors of elevator closed. Until now it wasn't as important information, but in New York I studied language school and I was kind of fluent in german language. So, yeah. I did understand all what I was able to hear. And right now I just got called beautiful by a literal terrorist.

I was confused and overwhelmed at same time. What makes this coldhearted and radical criminal being like this? Or is this all in my head?

• • •

Hello everyone! Finally the moment we all were waiting for, the main star of show arrived, no one else than the one and only Hans Gruber. I'm so excited to write as I finally have him around and I can work on the relationship and much more. I will try my best to potray him in the best way for your liking, he definitely won't be as bad as he seems. Just give him time and chance. This chapter might been little rushed, I know it could have been more detailed, still praying it's acceptable. Anyway I hope you enjoyed and I apologize for all my mistakes. Thank you so much for reading and see you in comments! Sending love