Coffee? What is Coffee?

Someone pokes at Nadia's shoulder, pulling a groan of protest from her. "Go away, Thene."

They poke again, harder this time, and Nadia lifts her head. She blinks wearily at the blur of yellow in her vision, waiting for her sight to clear. When she manages to figure out it's Annabeth, Nadia just lets her head slump back down. Annabeth nudges her again.

"Up, Nadia."

Nadia groans again but listens, raising her head. Annabeth pushes a mug of dark liquid across the table towards her. Nadia pokes at the liquid, hissing when it burns her finger.

"What is this?"

"Coffee. I don't know how you would take it, so try it and we can tweak based on your opinion of it."

"I don't know what coffee is, but okay . . ." Nadia lifts the mug to her mouth and sticks her tongue out experimentally. The bitter liquid scalds her tongue, cooking her tastebuds. She grimaces, holding back a cough. "This is very strong."

Annabeth nods. "So I should add some milk then?"

"Milk? I don't see any goats."

"That was another piece of knowledge not your own, wasn't it?"

Nadia blinks in shock. She hadn't even realised. "I . . . yes. I suppose it was."

Annabeth gives her a warm smile. "Well, milk is from cows now, mainly. It should cut the strength of your coffee."

"Oh. Okay."

Stepping towards the refrigerator, Annabeth pulls open the door and swipes a cardboard carton. She tips it over Nadia's mug, the white liquid splashing out until the coffee has turned a warm brown.

"Try that."

Nadia takes a small sip and nods. "Much better."

Annabeth sips from her own mug, watching Nadia over the top of it. "So . . . why were you passed out on the table?"

Nadia can feel her cheeks grow warm as she shifts in her seat, her body aching in protest. "I was working with the water scenes."

"You were only supposed to work with them for an hour, Nadia!"

"Sorry?"

Annabeth sighs, shaking her head. "Did you make any progress, at least?"

Nadia grimaces, taking a swig of her coffee. "I managed to get ten seconds further, after at least two hours of trying. But I think there isn't much more in it, if I could only get to the end."

"Don't exhaust yourself trying, Nadia."

"I can't help it, Annabeth. It feels important. I have to see the end."

Annabeth sighs. "Do you want me to watch with you? I don't have class until noon, and I finished my homework for the time being."

"Would you?"

Annabeth nudges Nadia's arm with her elbow. "I already said I would. Shall we sit somewhere more comfortable than this table? I know you can't be comfortable."

"It's not that bad." A raised eyebrow from Annabeth and Nadia sighs in defeat. "Fine."

Nadia swipes her coffee from the table as she stands, along with the discarded cup of water from her attempts with the story. She places both on the table beside her bed before clambering onto it, sitting cross-legged. Annabeth sits beside her, leaning her back against the wall as Nadia grabs the half-depleted water glass and pulls it into her lap.

With a flick of her hand, a small ball of liquid rises into the air, flattening out to form a ground from which two figures rise up and begin to move. They engage with what could be a dance, if Nadia couldn't see the pole-like objects they each wield. Spears. They are wielding spears. The two figures circle each other, jabbing and twisting away with familiarity for the other's movements.

The water collapses right when the battle grows to its most intense, and Nadia slumps. She summons the battle up again, but it fails at the same moment. Nadia mutters a curse under her breath, glaring at the water puddling in her palm. Annabeth shifts, scooting off the bed to grab something from one of the small tables. She presses it into Nadia's hand. Nadia curls her fingers around the item, recognizing it for the triton shell.

"Why-"

"It might help you focus on the scene, and I'll be here too."

Annabeth leans against Nadia's shoulder and peers at the water when it reforms the scene. It collapses thrice more, but each time Nadia manages to get just a bit farther, both the companionship and the shell helping her to keep the image. She narrows her eyes at the fourth attempt, the water shaky but holding. There is a hiccup in the battle-dance, one of the figures seemingly distracted by something.

The second figure, likely anticipating their partner to continue without misstep, lunges forward to jab with their spear. It hits the first figure in the side, pointing up towards their heart. As the first figure collapses, a pained gasp escapes Nadia's mouth in a whisper and a spike of pain pierces through her skull with an echoing crack. Light sweeps across her vision, carrying her away with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What was the scene? Why do you think Nadia reacted that way to it? What's happening to her? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out