The Choice of the Dove

With the scent of roses and a phantom spray of seawater, someone new enters the clearing. Dionysus stands in a flash, blocking Pallas and mirroring Athena's stance across the clearing. Argentum does the same, worming between Dionysus and Pallas to stand before her.

"What are you doing here, Aphrodite?"

Aphrodite blinks and smiles at them, though it wavers slightly in confusion. Well, she smiles at Athena specifically.

"My husband," The word comes out like it tastes sour in her mouth. "told me you wished to speak with me?"

Athena nods. "Yes, but I didn't expect you so soon. Perhaps we would all like to sit down?"

She crosses over to Pallas and sits beside her, drawing Aphrodite's attention. The goddess all but squeals in delight.

"Oh hello, Pallas! You look positively dreadful." Pallas frowns at that and Aphrodite quickly tuts. "Oh, don't do that, you'll line your pretty face. Let me fix you up."

She waves her hand and rose smelling sea spray envelops Pallas, quickly clearing away. It leaves her with a different set of clothing than what she was exercising in, a soft peplos in pale bluish gray that falls almost to her ankles. The fastening pins are inlaid with mother of pearl and carved into the silhouette of an owl at the blunted end. Pallas can feel her hair hanging loose around her shoulders, rather than tied up with a few loose curls as it had been before. Aphrodite smiles at her.

"There. Now you look lovely. I know it isn't exactly the fashion style of this age, but I would guess that you miss your old life still. It must be a shock."

Pallas touches the soft linen of her peplos. "It's lovely. Thank you."

Aphrodite dips her chin and delicately folds her legs beneath her to sit on the earth, summoning a blanket to cover the ground beneath her before she touches the dirt. She inclines her head to Athena.

"Now, what did you wish to discuss?"

Before Athena can start talking, Dionysus leans towards her. "I must return to camp. It'll raise suspicion if I'm away for too long, as much as I'd like to stay. I don't think you need Father watching even more closely than he already may be doing."

Athena nods. "Of course. And if you can-"

He squeezes her shoulder. "I'll tell them you said hello if I get the chance, don't worry."

With that, he vanishes. Unlike with the other gods, Pallas can barely sense the indication of his passing. But she manages to catch the hint of grapes on her tongue before it fades entirely. Once he is gone, Athena leans forward towards Aphrodite.

"War is brewing, Aphrodite."

The other goddess raises an eyebrow. "Is it really? What's my boyfriend up to this time? I won't scold him for you, Athena."

"The coming war is not due to Ares' own actions, although he does have an influence on it."

"Oh?"

Pallas looks between the two of them in confusion. "Thene, what's going on?"

"I'll explain later, Pallas, if you don't understand after this."

With a sigh, Pallas sinks back onto her heels to let the two goddesses talk. Argentum walks over to lay in front of her and Pallas takes the hint, stroking his silver head. Athena takes a breath and begins.

"My father has done something I cannot forgive him for. Despite warning after warning, and the knowledge of the role Pallas is fated to play in life, my father has decided that her life must end. He has already tried to kill her once since she regained life after her death, and she only narrowly survived. I will not stand by and let him try again. I will not let him abuse the power and authority he wields. I ask of you, will you help me stop him, will you help me dethrone him for his actions?"

Aphrodite purses her lips. "This seems a bit severe for just trying to kill someone, regardless of whether he should or shouldn't have." She quickly adds, "Of course, I don't condone him trying to separate you two."

Athena grimaces. "Pallas was the line in the sand, the last straw. He has been abusing his power ever since he gained it, as you well know. Forcing himself onto mortals without a care, acting as he saw fit without regarding our counsel, defying the fates. I won't let him continue as he is, I can't."

Aphrodite nods. "I suppose you're right. He does disregard us more often than not. Answer me one thing though, Athena. What side has Ares chosen?"

Athena grimaces again, and Pallas knows at once that she had hoped Aphrodite wouldn't ask that question of her. But she answers, despite her misgivings. "He has chosen Father's side. Because, as he said to me, he's been itching for a fight, particularly one against me."

A thoughtful frown blooms on Aphrodite's face. "I will help you, but I will not be the one fighting Ares."

Athena nods. "I understand, thank you."

Aphrodite flashes a tentative smile, then she frowns again. "If things do pan out the way you think they might, how will you let those of us siding with you know, so we can come to help?"

"I'm to ask Hermes next. If he chooses not to help, then my owls will come to warn you."

Aphrodite nods again. "Very well. I should go now, I think."

She doesn't wait for Athena to respond before she disappears. Taking advantage of Athena's moment of stunned surprise, she jumps into her own question.

"When were you going to tell me this was happening?" Guilt flashes across Athena's face. "You weren't going to, were you?"

Athena sighs. "No, I wasn't."

"Why?"

"I didn't want anything to happen to you. And you're still healing, from both the trauma and the lightning."

"Athena." The goddess looks at the ground when her proper name is used, rather than the nickname. "I am my own person. I am able to defend myself, and judge for myself what my capabilities may be. You do not get to make decisions for me. You may give me your opinion, but you should still inform me of all the details."

"I'm sorry, Pallas."

"I know. And I know you're worried for me, but don't forget who I am, either. Daughter of Triton, Daughter of Poseidon. A former nymph, though I am no longer. I may not have many powers, but I am skilled with the weapons of my bloodline, enough so that I can hold my own against you, the Goddess of War. Do not forget that. Now, go speak with Hermes, I think you need to."

Athena laughs softly and leans over to press a soft kiss to Pallas' cheek. Then she pulls away and with a blur of feathers, she disappears.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you think Aphrodite would join them? What do you think of her stipulation? What is your opinion on the conversation at the end? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out