An Owl's Cry

Pallas inhales through her nose as she tries to still her trembling hands. Annabeth had requested her mother's presence an hour ago, and she's been waiting since then. Her spear is in the other room, along with her father unless he's needed. Annabeth is sitting in the room with her, pretending not to notice Pallas' nervousness. She can't help but feel grateful for that. But . . . gods her attention span now is really bad, she's already drifting and it's only been a short time.

Is this what all demigods are like? She can see why Annabeth said they don't do well in modern schools. The activities required in the schooling she experienced are much more suited for the attention spans of both demigods and regular mortals than anything implemented now. What were they thinking of when they changed it? She says as much to Annabeth, who laughs.

"So is that why us year-rounders did so well in school at camp? It's better designed not just for demigods, but everyone?"

"I can't say much for Chiron's teaching methods, as I never trained under him, but I presume so."

There is a shiver in the air and the sensation of feathers brushing against skin. Pallas lifts her brow. Really, Thene? The feathers disappear a heartbeat later, just as Athena appears in the room. Somehow, she doesn't look much older than Pallas remembers her, but yet the changes can still be seen. Even from a distance, Pallas can see the age in her eyes, the silent weight that rests on her shoulders. She holds herself differently, with less freedom despite her hair lying loose around her shoulders instead of the tied back style Pallas remembers. She looks right to her daughter.

"Why have you asked me here, Annabeth?"

"Percy's sister wanted to talk to you."

Athena's gaze slides to Pallas as she shifts into a slightly defensive stance. Pallas doubts anyone else would see it, she doesn't even think Athena knows she's doing it. Athena's gaze, while hard, is tempered with curiosity.

"Perseus's sister? I was not aware of another child of Poseidon."

"I was technically born just before the oath of the big three was made. Put in a stasis crystal to keep me safe, and now I'm out."

"You seem to be quite well adjusted for having been in a stasis crystal for so long."

Pallas smiles. "There is a reason for that."

Athena raises her chin. "Who are you?"

"Technically, my name is Nadia Pallas Arien." Athena fights back a flinch at the second name, causing Pallas to sigh. Did either of her loved ones actually move on in any way?

"Is there a reason you needed to speak to me?"

"Because I know something that you probably want to know."

"Oh? And how would you know what information I might find interest in?"

Pallas groans. "Styx, Thene! Because I know you! Gods, you've gotten testy."

Athena takes a stumbling step backwards, her hand reaching behind her for the wall as a cry of shock is strangled in her throat. Pallas glances over to Annabeth.

"Would you mind going into the other room?" Once Annabeth has gone, Pallas steps forward towards Athena. "Thene?"

Athena stares at her, lips parting slightly in confusion. "How-"

Pallas motions to the couch. "Can we sit? You've gone pale."

Athena pushes off the wall and stumbles over to the couch, not taking her eyes off of Pallas once. That earns a grimace when Athena almost walks into a table in front of the couch, just barely missing the corner of it. She settles on one end, turning so that her back rests against the armrest rather than the cushions. Pallas sits on the other end, wanting to move closer but not wanting to push Athena too far too soon. She twists her hands in her lap for a moment before looking at Athena, taking strength from her gray gaze.

"You asked how? The truth is, I don't know how I'm here. When I woke as Nadia, a week ago, I had no memories. But I've had flashes, knowledge that I shouldn't have had. Last night, I had a . . . nightmare. While Annabeth and Percy were trying to comfort me, it turns out that I was instinctually playing a scene in water. Even without memories, I knew it was important, and I knew I needed to see it to the end. When I managed to get through it in its entirety, after who knows who many tries, it unlocked the floodgates to . . . to me, I suppose. Everything came back."

Athena's skin has turned faintly green. "Pallas, what memory was the key?"

Pallas swallows. "My last."

Athena makes a pained noise in the back of her throat, a choked cry. "I didn't mean- I never-"

Pallas leans forward, a mix of confusion and worry stirring in her heart. "Thene? What's wrong?"

Athena's next words are soft and full of heartbreak. "You blame me."

"No! No Thene, it wasn't your fault."

"Then why are you sitting so far away?"

Pallas blinks. "I didn't- I didn't want to overwhelm you."

When Athena's lip wobbles, Pallas scoots across the couch to pull her into a hug, tighter than anything. Another strangled cry escapes Athena's throat as she tries to hold it back. Pallas just strokes her hair, blinking back tears. A second later, a fully-fledged sob escapes Athena as she dissolves entirely. Pallas tucks her chin against Athena's head and murmurs into her hair.

"I'm not leaving, Thene. I'm not."

When Athena calms, Pallas doesn't move from her position. She knows that she's not going anywhere, she knows that Athena won't leave yet, but she can't let go. And Athena isn't complaining about the hug anyways, so why not just continue it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Athena needs a hug. If it's okay, Pallas is giving it to her.

What did you think of how Pallas told Athena? Did you expect it to go this way? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out