A Troublesome Tale

tw: there is discussion of sexual assault in this chapter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aquilla takes a long, deep breath, staring down at her hands. "About three years before I found Lady Artemis and the Hunt, I was out with some of my friends. The area we were in was very crowded, and inevitably I was separated from the group. While I was trying to find them, I was cornered by a group of people. Three men. They got me away, isolating me from everyone else in the area. Once we were in someplace private-" She spits out the word.

"They forced themselves on me and when they were done, they left me lying on the concrete of an alleyway, broken and bleeding. When I was eventually found, I had lost enough blood that I needed a transfusion at the hospital. After I healed, we found that I had developed . . . let's say an adverse reaction if men got too close to me. I would flinch if they moved, I would get both defensive and aggressive, I would dissociate."

Pallas swallows before reaching over to hug Aquilla, her arms tightly wrapped around the other girl. Aquilla makes a startled noise but doesn't pull away, eventually relaxing into the hug.

"Thank you."

"You don't need to thank me. It's what any good person would do."

Aquilla snorts. "You'd be surprised, actually. Most people just say they're sorry, or they tell me that I'm making a big deal out of nothing. You're one of the few who try to actually provide comfort." She straightens, clapping her hands together. "Now, I didn't just come over here to tell you my story, that by itself won't help you heal. But tips for helping you heal outside of your sessions with Lord Apollo? That, I can do."

Pallas crosses her legs, fingering the charms of her bracelet. "What kind of tips do you have?"

"Hmm. I have tips that my therapist gave me that help for dealing with both nightmares and flashbacks. Um, which do you have more trouble with?"

"Flashbacks, generally. I used to have nightmares, but Athena helped me out." Pallas lifts the poppy pendant. "This keeps them at bay."

Aquilla frowns. "That's not quite a long-term solution for your healing process, but it'll work for now. So flashback tips it is, then. What do you normally do when you have them?"

"I um- I freeze up when they're happening. But when it's over, the charms are a comfort."

"Oh that's good- well, not good that your flashbacks impact you like that, but good that you have at least one strategy already. What might help pull you out of the flashback more quickly is to touch the charms while in the flashback, to remind yourself that you are here and not there."

Pallas nods, thinking. "I- I think I like that one. I don't know how much it'll help, but it's worth a shot. What others do you have?"

"Well, focusing on your breathing is one key thing, it will help if you concentrate on deep breaths, perhaps counting to five or another number. After the flashback ends, you can do something that you find comforting, to keep you from remaining on edge. There's also grounding-"

Aquilla continues listing off the techniques she has learned in a long chain, leaving Pallas to desperately try to remember them all. She resolves to write them down later, when the two of them aren't talking any longer. Aquilla breaks off in her litany, squinting into the distance and pointing.

"What is that?"

Pallas stands to get a better look, shading her eyes with one hand. "I'm not sure-"

As the object approaches, it becomes easier for her to make it out. A little owl is zooming toward them at a frantic pace, nothing like the languid glide of a owl on the hunt. It alights on her shoulder, panting wildly. Pallas reaches for it, stroking its feathers.

"What's wrong?"

"Message. From Lady Athena. Urgent."

Pallas frowns. "So urgent that you can't take a breath? Breathe, then tell me your message."

After a moment of silence, the owl speaks again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poor Aquilla. What do you think of her tips? What is the owl's message? What's going to happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out