Rearranging the Thrones

There is another thud as the master bolt rolls down a step and Athena darts forward to scoop it up before it can reach Zeus, setting it on the ground where the throne it fell from used to stand. There is a long moment before she turns to her father, looking past him at the entrance to the hall.

"We will set into motion the rest of your sentence once your conspirators have been tried."

First Ares, and then Hera are brought to stand in the center of the throne room. Pallas starts to zone out in their trial, shifting in her seat. She's aware enough to take note of their sentences: Hera is excused due to the vow she made in the past to never betray Zeus, so she had no choice but to fight against them.

Ares is to spend a year as a mortal at Camp Half-Blood, confined there and learning from the campers. Pallas fiddles with some string that appeared in her lap throughout the trials, tying all sorts of boating knots. But she looks up when Athena mentions Zeus' former throne. It's important, after all.

"Shall we vote on who will take Zeus' place as ruler of the gods? Hera, Ares, you can remain for this and vote. But Zeus, I think it's time for you to go."

Hades seems to take this as a cue, striding forward to take his brother's arm. Shadows curl around them both and they disappear. When he returns a minute later, he is alone. Hades retakes his seat and nods to Athena. She returns to her own throne, curling against Pallas. Hermes is the first to speak up.

"I vote for Athena to take the throne."

"I second that," Apollo adds.

Athena makes a shocked sound from beside Pallas. "Me? I think Apollo would suit better. Yes, I'm wise, but experience also plays a part. We play an impact on our children too. Who better to make decisions on their behalf than one who lived among them?"

Pallas' father is the one to respond to Athena. "Perhaps Apollo will be the best for the demigods, but you are the best for us. Your wisdom will help you choose the right course, will help you avoid the mistakes of the past. I vote for you."

One by one, the assembled gods say their piece and make their votes. In the end, they all choose either Athena or Apollo, and the two of them have almost equal votes. Athena has a few more, and Pallas can catch a hint of panic in her eyes. Pallas squeezes her hand. Poseidon stands and turns to Athena.

"Our votes have been cast, and you have been chosen to lead us. Will you take up the role you deserve?"

Apollo nods encouragingly and Athena inhales. "I will, if my brother Apollo will stand as my second in command with an equal voice in decisions of weight."

After a moment of hesitation, Apollo nods. "I accept, sister."

There are cheers from the rest of the gods and then the room twists, rearranging. Pallas yelps in shock and grabs Athena's arm, squeezing it tightly as the throne beneath them moves. Athena laughs, seemingly unaffected by Pallas' iron grip.

When the room is no longer moving, Athena's throne is sitting beside Apollo's at the center of the arc. Pallas looks to see that not much of the room has changed. The thrones themselves have been shuffled around, but not much else. Athena claps her hands together, rising from her seat.

"Now for our next order of business. What shall be done with Zeus' domain? Again, Hera and Ares, you will stay for this."

Hera must have decided to take a more active role than she did in discussing the new ruler, speaking up. "Most of us already have our own domains, we don't need more. Nor do I think we want more. But there is one immortal individual in this room without any domain at all."

All of them look to Pallas and she stiffens, staring back. Her grip on Athena's hand tightens.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you think it was Athena that would become the new ruler? What do you think of Hera's suggestion? What will happen next? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out