The Conflict of War

The forge's heat is stifling today, Hephaestus is working hard. Athena pushes through it, trying to ignore the heat that beads her skin with sweat. The god looks up at her approach, moving to close the opening of the furnace. He sets the few tools in his hands on a nearby table before he turns fully to her, giving Athena his undivided attention.

"Athena. Is something wrong?"

She frowns. "What makes you ask such?"

He waves a hand in her direction. "I may not have good social skills, but the expression on your face, and your eyes are shadowed with exhaustion."

Athena sighs. "It's been . . . a long few days, brother."

He raises an eyebrow as he reaches for a cloth to wipe his hands with. "What happened?"

"Father tried to kill Pallas once again, and he almost succeeded. She was paralyzed for a good while after being hit by his lightning. The aegis is all that saved her from being struck again."

Hephaestus frowns. "Why did he attack her?"

"Because he is under the impression that she is turning me against him and so is a threat to his rule. Father knows that I would not allow him to harm her, he knows that she was my line. Yet he crossed it anyways, and I will not stand for it."

"Nor would I expect you to. But why are you here, Athena?"

Athena takes a breath and lifts her chin. She's already begun, she can't stop now. "I'm asking for your help to overthrow him. He has abused his power, and this is my last straw. This is the last I will tolerate it."

Hephaestus nods. "I have silently suffered under our father's rule, enduring injustice after injustice. Waiting for someone beside myself to find Father wanting. I had resigned myself to enduring eternally. But if you are choosing to act now, I will not stop you, I will join you."

Athena smiles, dipping her head. "Thank you, Hephaestus."

There is a sharp noise on the opposite side of the room from them, the clattering of metal. Athena turns to see Ares fiddling with scraps of metal and tossing a dagger in his hand. He grins at them.

"What are you two whispering about?"

Athena blinks. They were whispering? She hadn't realized, but she supposes it makes sense. A sensitive matter, one that can be dangerous for them both, and others. They wouldn't wish to be broadcasting their discussion. She turns to her elder brother, frowning.

"Ares. What are you doing here?"

He grins mockingly. "Shouldn't I be asking you the same, dear sister?"

"Just answer the question, Ares."

Ares continues to give her that insufferable, insulting grin. "Very well. I'm here to pick up some more weapons, of course. What else?"

Athena shares a quick glance with Hephaestus. Hers, a question. His, a warning answer to that same question. Steeling herself, Athena gives Ares a wary look.

"I have a question for you, brother."

Ares' eyes shine with delight. "Oh? Do tell."

"Will you help me overthrow our father?"

Ares tilts his head, pondering. "No."

Fear rushes down Athena's spine, chilling her blood. "Why not?"

"Well for one, I see no reason to. For two, I don't like you. For three, war fighting war would be so fun, don't you think? So chaotic."

Athena gapes at him. "You're mad, brother. You say you have no reason, but he is abusing his power. He's defying the fates themselves with his actions."

"On the contrary. That's not enough reason for me. I'm siding with father because I'm bored, and this is something to do. Mortal tussles have grown tiring. Immortal ones are so rare. Perhaps, to spice things up, I should tell Father of your little plan?" He twists around to snap at Hephaestus, who has settled between him and the door, a heavy stick of metal in his hands. "Don't bother, brother. You can't fight me, not with that."

He sneers at Hephaestus' crippled leg. Athena steps forward in his distraction, hands raised. "Ares, don't do this."

He turns to her once again, grinning. "Oh, but I will." His eyes flicker to Hephaestus once more. "I would consider choosing the winning side of this little fight, brother."

With those parting words, he flickers out and the tension that had permeated the room disappears. Athena sags.

"Well that's just wonderful."

Hephaestus moves to place a steady hand on her shoulder. "I suggest you up your schedule. Who to visit next?"

"I still need to ask Aphrodite and Dionysius, I presume Hestia is staying out of this and Hera will be on Father's side."

"I'll send Aphrodite to you, go find Dionysius. He should be at Camp Half-Blood currently."

Athena nods sharply and leaves the forge in a swirl of feathers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who expected that from Ares? Do you think Athena will have enough time? What will Dionysus and Aphrodite say? Tell me your thoughts!

Happy reading and I'll see you next chapter!

~ Goddess of Fate, signing out