Prologue

"How could you do this to me?! You knew about my dreams and you turned me into a.."

Emotions took over her wanting to throw something but instead tears fell from her face and leaked to her chin. Betrayal. Anger. Desperation. Every good image of them together just crumbled right in front of her.

"I couldn't let you die like that. I'm so-"

"No. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for myself for trusting a demon like you. You're all the same selfish beings."

"What are you thinking about dear?" A feminine voice so soft and smooth with a hint of playful curiosity asked, crumbling the painful memory. Her eyes lid fluttered open and stared up at the older woman who gave her a gentle smile. The cherry blossom tree behind her lets its pink leaves flutter around her and the evening sun lit parts of her face creating a heavenly sight.

"It's nothing, mother." Moriyama sighed. Thankful that she was here.

That's right. She was finally reunited with her dear mother after these long two years of separation. She didn't want anything else. Just to stay here with her head lying on her mother's lap while she played with her hair, was all she needed. With her, she could practically tell her anything. Her aura was so light and comforting. This was enough.

"I guess," she started, "I'm a bit nervous about being a Pillar." Her dream of being a demon slayer that would protect people and bring down the leader is what she wanted to do. Being a Pillar meant being one step closer to doing so.

Her mother chuckled at the ambitious ten-year-old. "Why think of something that far into the future. You still have a lot more steps to accomplish that and more time. Enjoy this freedom while you still can," she said, ending with a playful wink. "But if you must know, being a Pillar does not always mean being better than any other demon slayer. It is merely a title. It's the same thing as being a lower rank slayer. Don't forget that, dear Murasaki. In the end, you're still defending the innocent from demons."

"I won't forget." she smiled back.

The peaceful scene was disturbed by cawing from a very loud and annoying bird.

"We heard ya the first time crow!" Moriyama yelled at the creature. The crow was like a pin that always pops the bubble of tranquility and calm whenever it wants to deliver a mission. At times, she wanted to cook the thing alive but she had no choice but to accept it as her mother was a pillar after all.

Her mother giggled a bit at her daughter's temper and allowed the bird to land on her arm. "Ah, I see. A lower one demon has been spotted near Mt. Fujikasane."

"Lower one?! Mother you need help with this demon. That mountain is loaded with demons for the final selection. A Lower one is even more deadly."

The Final Selection was an entrance exam for demon slayers to be accepted to the corp located in Mt. Fujikasane. The mountain was surrounded by wisteria which surrounds the mountain, completely trapping the demons so they can be slain by the students. But if one has escaped then there's definitely a weak point somewhere or maybe from the outside. Then again it would've died as soon as it touched the sun.

Her mother gazed at her daughter's distressed thinking face and knelt down to her level. "Don't worry darling. I'll make sure this doesn't take long. Plus we still have to catch up on those missing years. I'll also be visiting my old teacher before coming back, so have dinner without me, ok? And stay home with Sato-san." Sato-sama was their nanny who took care of the house while her mother was out. She was also considered family.

Her mother's face beamed with confidence and determination that Moriyama was always left speechless. She wished that she too was like that. She watched as her mother stood up with her red blade in hand and left with the crow. Her haori with blazing red and orange gradients left with her.

She couldn't help but smile at the flame hashira as she left but somehow her child-like sixth sense kept telling her to follow but something held her back and for whatever reason, she listened.