Chapter 10🖤

The woman leads us up the stairs and shows us into an almost empty room except for a bed and a lamp right next to it. I'm not complaining because it's somewhere warm and dry to rest for the night, and let's be honest our situation could be so much worse.

"I'll bring yall each one of my nightgowns so yall can get dry," the woman says before walking out the room.

That's nice of her.

"I hope Kara will be alright" I whisper to Courtney as we stand in the middle of the room waiting for the women to get back. I tried to see what all Kara had for her injuries but it was too dark, I couldn't see anything too good. I just know she was bleeding around her stomach area for sure.

"She will be fine, Izzy. Jesus. We just fucking walked miles in the cold rain for her. She will be fine and I expect a very huge thank you from her" she says in an annoyed tone, while looking around the room in disgust. "These people must be poor, they barley have anything in this house, no decorations."

Thank you? I mean yeah, a thank you is always nice to hear, but I don't even care if she tells me thank you as long as she doesn't die.

And as for them being poor, I really don't care what they are, they are being kind and letting us stay here for the night when they clearly do not have to and who would want to spend all thier money on decorations? Not me.

"I'll just be happy if she lives," I tell her, honestly that's reward enough for me, I didn't push Court so hard for nothing. They may not be the best of friends to me but they are my only friends and I would do anything for them.

I'm too tired to start a fight with her in a strangers home, they may get enough of us and kick us out in the rain, I don't see the lady doing that but the man? I think he wouldn't blink a eye after shutting the door in our faces.

Courtney rolls her eyes at me as the woman walks back into the room, carring two older style night gowns, and I'm just happy I will have dry clothes to wear tonight.

"Here ya go, Dears. Quickly change before you start to get sick" she tells us and turns her back but doesn't leave the room, she does at least turn her back a little.

Being that she is turned around, Courtney and I quickly peel off our wet clothes, they feel like they are stuck to my body, instead of throwing mine to the door frame like Courtney did, I walked my clothes over and gently laid them down on the floor.

Courtney holds up the nightgown from her stomach and frowns, oh no. I know that look, she dislikes the clothing and will want to open her spoiled mouth about it and she does before I can stop her.

"You don't have anything that looks better than this? It looks like something Izzy here would wear" Courtney says annoyed, looking up at the women Cleary showing her dislike for the dress on her face.

I widen my eyes at her, I can't believe she said that. These people didn't have to allow us into their home, these people didn't have to give us towels to even dry us off and this woman here didn't have to give strangers her clothes just so we wouldn't get sick, well worse than we already will.

"Don't be rude Courtney" I whisper in an angry tone.

I honestly can't believe her right now. After all, that's happened tonight she is worried about what she is sleeping in?

Noone is even here to see her for gods sake or maybe she is thinking about the ladies sons, and doesn't want them to see her dressed like that.

I can help the eye roll, my eyes do them on thier own accord when it comes to Kara and Courtney.

"I'm just saying, I should have grabbed my bag from the car." She says, loudly.

"How would you even have carried that Courtney? We had Kara remember?" I growl out in a frustrated tone, she needs to just shut up. I'm tired and my body is exhausted.

"I would have manged it" Courts snark reply comes as I'm climbing on the bed and I don't even answer her back, what she is saying is dumb. She could not have carried nothing but helped me with Kara. Her hurt leg wouldn't have allowed anymore weight.

"So where are you girls from?" The lady asks, as she turns around.

"Kansas," I tell her, adding a smile at the end hoping that will ease what Courtney just said about her dresses, I don't want the woman to feel like we are disrespecting her in her own home.

"Your family must be worried, I'm sure they tried calling yall. I'm sorry the phone isn't working" she says as she keeps her eyes on Court and I and sits down on the edge of the bed.

"My mom will be worried," Courtney says, sadly "I miss my bed".

"And you?" The lady turns her head, and looks at me.

"I live with a foster family and they don't care" I whisper and shrug my shoulders.

"Pitty. They don't know what they're missing then. I always wanted a daughter but the Lord blessed me with two sons instead" she smiles at me.

Yeah, it really was a pity.

"Well, you girls get some rest. I'll go check on yalls, friend" she says, getting off the bed and heading out the door.

As soon as the women is out of ear shot I turn towards Courtney and scold her again. "Did you need to be so rude over clothes tonight?"

"What? Not everyone likes wearing old clothes. I hope that woman doesn't have a skin disease or something" she says as a shudder goes through her body before climbing into bed with me.

I closed my eyes and thought I'd be happy with a nice woman like that as a mother.

I quickly fall asleep for a little while before something wakes me... I could have sworn it was a scream but maybe it was the wind howling outside.

My throat hurts me and I raise my hand to my nose and see that it's running. Great, I'm getting sick already, I close my tired eyes and try to get more sleep.