Chapter 14🖤

"Tell me a little about yourself, dear, before my son comes in here and tries to hog your attention," she says softly, laughing at herself, and I can't help but chuckle with her.

"I'm 18 years old, and I just graduated from high school. I've spent my entire childhood in foster care, moving from family to family. I've been with my new family for approximately eight months, but I'll be leaving thier home shortly" I tell her and take a little bite of the sausage link that had fallen on my plate.

"That is heartbreaking to hear, sweetie. The most important thing in the world is to have a family. Everything revolves on family "As she watches me eat the sausage, she smiles broadly.

After taking the bite, I murmur, "I wish I had that."

"You have it now honey, dont give those foaster families another thought" she says softly.

It appears to be too good to be true.

"It breaks my heart to watch you be so sad" she says, a small grimace on her lips.

"Your son appears to be a good man," I say, hoping she can hear my sincerity, and I'm trying to change the subject, nothing about my past really makes me happy anymore. My friends did but well now that I learned what kind of friends they actually are, even the memories I have with them are not happy ones anymore.

"Yes, of course. My two sons are fantastic. They had a good upbringing. Around here, family always takes precedence over everything else "She grins as she picks up the sausage link and offers me another mouthful; I accept it from her and savor the hot sweetness.

"I'm sure of it. You all appear to be a great family."

"All the more reason to stay then, my dear," she says

I want to... My mind is a mess; I had plans, plans I'd worked hard for my entire life, but what if this is my one chance at a happy family, and I don't take it? I'll always wonder what if.

"Would you mind if I stayed?" I ask her because I want to know the truth; I don't want to stay in another house, where I don't feel welcome.

"Oh, of course not. My son's grown a strong attachment to you and I think it's a wonderful idra." She says, and plays with a piece of her dress.

"He told me he would teach me how to hunt," I tell her and giggle trying to picture myself with a gun trying to shoot down some ducks or something.

"Oh, I'm sure one day you will be able to go out hunting with him. Our families love a good hunt" she smiles.

"Yes, that's what Kyle told me last night," I tell her before picking up the glass of milk and taking a big sip.

"Your welcome to stay, my son's already talked to me about it and now that I know about your childhood, I definitely want you to stay, you deserve a family that loves you" she beams

" I'd be happy to stay, but-" I start to say before she cuts me off.

"Then it's settled. You are staying right here. Just remember Family, first no matter what" she says in kinda a stern voice maybe she didn't mean it to come off like that though.

"Yes, ma'am. Family first" I smile at her.

A family. Could it be everything I always dreamed it would be? I'm so excited I can't wait to meet the rest of this family. They all seem so welcoming.

Family first, always I repeat in my head.

I like the sound of that.