Chapter 43

Sage

It was like my whole world stumbled around me. My brain stutters for a moment and my eyes take in more light than I expected, every part of me goes on pause while my thoughts struggled to catch up.

Go with him.

The words were echoing in my ears. What does that supposed to mean?

"I-I don't understand. Go with him? Where? For how long?" I asked Azriel. "You love him, go live with him the life you wanted. You are free." He said and turned around and walked away from there.

"Wh-what wa-wait-" I tried to go after him, "Sage" before I could move towards him I was held back by Justin. I snatched my hand back "What are you doing? Why are you here?" "Look your man came to me and said you and him are separated, and you are still in love with me so you and I should be together" he told. "He came to you. Azriel? Came to you?" I asked all surprised. "Yeah tonight" "Aren't you suppose to be in Vancouver?" I mean why is he even here. "I was, your husband's men picked me up from my dorm and in few hours I am here in front of him." Ofcourse he did. "What is he Sage, where are you trapped?" He asked and I kept quite because I can't tell what he is and I don't have a cover up like my Father since he don't use one. "Look I don't care, come we should go" he said taking my hand.

I looked at our hands intertwined and I didn't feel anything. The touch that used to bring fireworks in me was as blank as it can be. Its like he is not even touching me. He was saying about how we will settle in. I can join his college and we can plan then and all I am hearing is I never loved you Sage. His words from that night in his apartment and everything I went through because of that. I left everything for him, I put my life at risk for him because I trusted him and he betrayed me. I lost everything because of him. Eve had to go through so much pain because I left her for him. I had lost my life as well as my family. I lost everything. 

"I can't go with you Justin" I said cutting him off in whatever he was blabbering. "What! Are you out of your mind Sage. You wanted this, since forever now when your dream is right in front of you then you are backing out." I can't live in chains Eve I remembered what I used to say to Eve. Yes freedom is all I ever wanted.

"Why are you here Justin?" I asked again. "What do you mean, I just told you I am here to take you with me." "Why?" "Wh-what do you mean Sage?" "I mean you don't love me, you were loud and clear about that, then why?" "I know I hurt you Sage and I am sorry. I will make it up to you. You were the best girl I ever had, I will treat you right this time. You don't deserve what I did, I was an asshole and I will never hurt you Princess" he said holding me and I burst out laughing. "Sage? W-why are you laughing?" He said and I kept laughing "Because he is crazy and you are coward" "What?" he asked all confused as I moved to the sidewalk on the bridge. 

"You don't mean what you just said Justin. You are not here because you want to make it up to me. You do not want to take me with you so that you can do it right this time. You are saying this because if you don't he will kill you, isn't it?" I said reaching to him "Tell me Justin, he told you do this, to make it up to me. To take me with you and if you hurt me again he will kill you. He threatened you, didn't he?" "Look he can be a bit intense but trust me I will take care of you" He said trying to persuade me, the only difference is now I am not that old naïve Sage who couldn't see through his lies. Now I can. "I am not going with you Justin" I said turning away from him when he held my elbow. "Why, didn't you always wanted this?" "No Justin" I brushed him away "I wanted this when I was in love with you, when I thought that you were in love with me, but now I know you don't and I am sure as hell not in love with you" I said point blank. 

"You, you don't love me?" he scoffed "listen to yourself Sage, I am the only man you ever loved Sage, you were crazy about me" he said lacing with smug "Yes I was, I am not anymore. Because I believed your lies then but now I can see the truth in your eyes. And even if you are saying the truth I am not that Sage anymore." I said because even if there is a slightest chance that life is giving me freedom again I am too broken for it. I don't know how to live in the outside world. It might me pathetic but I want to go back to my cage and feel safe. It doesn't feel safe outside anymore. Even if I were to run with him, I couldn't love the way I used to. I can't feel those emotions anymore.